Parenteral Nutrition Market Size
Parenteral Nutrition Market was valued at USD 5.7 billion in 2022 and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 7.1% from 2023 to 2032. The increasing prevalence of chronic diseases and gastrointestinal disorders, which often necessitate the use of parenteral nutrition, has significantly contributed to the market's expansion.
To understand key trends
Download Free Sample
Additionally, the aging population and rising awareness about the importance of proper nutritional support have further fuelled demand for parenteral nutrition solutions. Technological advancements in healthcare and the development of innovative formulations and delivery methods have also played a pivotal role in this growth.
Parenteral Nutrition Market Report Attributes
|Parenteral Nutrition Market Size in 2022:
|USD 5.7 Billion
|2023 to 2032
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2032 CAGR:
|2032 Value Projection:
|USD 11.1 Billion
|Historical Data for:
|2018 to 2022
|No. of Pages:
|Tables, Charts & Figures:
|Composition, Type, Consumer, End-user, and Region
- Increasing metabolic disorders and other chronic diseases
- Growing malnutrition across the globe
- Rise in geriatric population
- Increasing rate of pre-mature birth & birth rate
- Growing adoption of home healthcare settings in developed countries
|Pitfalls & Challenges:
- Lack of clinical evidence to support novel technology
To understand market opportunities
Download Free Sample
Parenteral nutrition, a component of clinical nutrition, also known as intravenous nutrition or total parenteral nutrition (TPN), is a medical technique that provides essential nutrients and fluids directly into a person's bloodstream. It is used when a patient is unable to obtain proper nutrition through oral or enteral (tube feeding) routes, often due to gastrointestinal issues, surgery, or other medical condition.
The COVID-19 pandemic had a moderate positive impact on the parenteral nutrition market. The disruption in global supply chains and transportation systems hindered the timely delivery of parenteral nutrition products during the initial stage of pandemic. However, in the latter half of the year, the parenteral nutrition played a valuable role in the treatment of COVID-19 patients, offering a moderate positive impact, particularly in cases where conventional oral or enteral nutrition is insufficient or unfeasible.
Parenteral Nutrition Market Trends
- The increasing prevalence of metabolic & chronic disorders is anticipated to drive the demand for parenteral nutrition solutions and services across the globe. The significant upsurge in the prevalence rates of non-communicable diseases including obesity, malnutrition, type-2 diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases among others that are known to lead to prolonged hospitalization, and increased mortality rates are expected to prove conducive to the industry development.
- These disorders often lead to impaired digestion, absorption, or utilization of essential nutrients, including proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. As a result, patients with metabolic disorders require parenteral nutrition to meet their nutritional needs. As per the World Health Organization (WHO), in 2019, cardiovascular conditions were responsible for 17.9 million deaths, accounting for an estimated 31% of the deaths globally. The management of such chronic diseases is generally multidimensional that comprises several aspects including parenteral nutrition.
Further, the rise in metabolic diseases and related mortality offers immense potential for business growth and opportunity for the market players to establish and penetrate the untapped market. Thus, the growing incidence of metabolic and chronic diseases is expected to expedite the market demand.
Parenteral Nutrition Market Analysis
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on composition, the global market is segmented into amino acids, fats, carbohydrates, trace elements, vitamins, minerals and other compositions. In 2022, the amino acids segment dominated the market and was valued at USD 2.2 billion.
- The amino acids are a fundamental component of parenteral nutrition. Amino acids play a pivotal role in promoting tissue repair, muscle growth, and overall well-being, making them a crucial component of parenteral nutrition solutions.
- Furthermore, advancements in medical technology and formulations have led to the development of more effective and specialized amino acid products, catering to a wider range of patient needs.
- Amino acids are well-established and widely studied nutritional components with a long history of safe and effective use in clinical practice and their use aids in preventing complications related to malnutrition. The combined influence of these factors collectively reinforces the growth trajectory of this particular segment.
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on type, the parenteral nutrition market is classified into RTU/standard commercial parenteral nutrition, compounded parenteral nutrition. The RTU/standard commercial parenteral nutrition held a significant market share of 88.3% in 2022, and the segment is projected to experience sustainable CAGR of 7% during the analysis period.
- The convenience and time-saving benefits offered by RTU formulations have garnered immense popularity among healthcare professionals, reducing the need for on-site compounding and ensuring accurate nutrient delivery. These products have become more readily available, with a wide range of options tailored to various medical conditions and patient needs.
- Furthermore, the standardization of these products ensures consistent quality and safety, thereby gaining the trust of healthcare professionals and contributing to the segment's high growth.
Based on consumer, the global parenteral nutrition market is segmented into adults and newborn & children. The adult’s segment has witnessed massive growth in recent years, accounting for USD 3.2 billion in 2022, and is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 6.9% during the forecast timeframe.
- Adults, particularly the elderly, are more likely to suffer from chronic illnesses that may impair their ability to eat or absorb nutrients properly.
- Conditions like cancer, gastrointestinal disorders, and malabsorption syndromes are prevalent in the adult population, necessitating the use of parenteral nutrition to provide essential nutrients.
- Additionally, the factors such as the need for critical care and age-related nutritional requirements drive the high market share of adults in the market.
Based on the end users, the global parenteral nutrition market is segmented into hospitals, clinic, homecare settings and other end-users. The contract research organizations (CROs) is expected to show significant growth prospects between 2023 and 2032.
- The hospital segment dominated the market and was valued to be USD 3.7 billion in 2022.
- The hospitals are the primary providers of parenteral nutrition due to their ability to deliver comprehensive care, specialized units, clinical expertise, and a commitment to ensuring the well-being of a wide range of patients with diverse medical conditions.
- Hospitals serve a diverse patient population with varying medical conditions and nutritional needs. This diversity drives the demand for parenteral nutrition in these healthcare settings. Moreover, advancements in parenteral nutrition formulations and delivery systems have made it more accessible and effective, further boosting its adoption in hospital settings.
To understand regional trends  Download Free Sample
The North America region held the largest market share of 30.0% in 2022 and is anticipated to expand at 7.2% CAGR over the forecast timeframe.
- One of the primary drivers is the well-established healthcare infrastructure in the region, which includes advanced medical facilities and a strong network of healthcare providers. This infrastructure supports the safe and effective administration of parenteral nutrition to patients.
- Additionally, there is a growing trend in North America towards homecare services for parenteral nutrition. Many patients prefer receiving this specialized nutrition therapy in the comfort of their homes, which not only enhances convenience but also reduces the overall healthcare costs.
- In addition to this, factors such as increasing prevalence of chronic diseases, the evolving healthcare practices, and the presence of key players in the in the region contribute to this growing trend, thereby bolstering the growth of this region.
Parenteral Nutrition Market Share
The market players are consistently involved in creating new opportunities in the healthcare sector. Fresenius Kabi AG, B. Braun Melsungen AG, Baxter International, Inc., and Otsuka Pharmaceutical Factory, Inc. occupy more than 40% of the global parenteral nutrition industry. These market participants are engaged in strategic collaborations, partnerships, mergers, etc., to maintain their position in the market, capture the highest market share, and outperform the competition.
Prominent market players operating in the parenteral nutrition industry is as mentioned below:
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Baxter International, Inc.
- Fresenius Kabi AG
- OTSUKA HOLDINGS CO., LTD
- Amanta Healthcare
- Grifols International S.A.
- ICU Medical
- Aculife Healthcare
- AbbVie, Inc
- Sichuan Kelun Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd.
- Xi’an Libang Enterprises
- Anhui Medipharm Co., Ltd.
Parenteral Nutrition Industry News:
- In September 2022, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. has received the approval for ENEFLUID Injection. This product is the first peripheral parenteral nutrition solution in Japan that combines fat and water-soluble vitamins in addition to glucose, electrolytes, and amino acids in a dual-chamber bag. This approval boosted the product portfolio of the company and hence, helped in the market progress.
- In May 2022, Fresenius Kabi completed the acquisition of Ivenix, Inc., creating an industry-leading infusion therapies offering in the U.S. This acquisition developed a comprehensive and leading setup of premium infusion therapy products for the benefit of patients, customers, and stakeholders. Thus, expanding the various types of parenteral products of the company.
The global parenteral nutrition market research report includes an in-depth coverage of the industry with estimates & forecast in terms of revenue in USD Million from 2018 to 2032 for the following segments:
Click here to Buy Section of this Report
By Composition, 2018 – 2032 (USD Million)
- Amino acids
- Trace elements
- Other compositions
By Type, 2018 – 2032 (USD Million)
- RTU/Standard commercial parenteral nutrition
- Single nutriment
- RTU 2or 3 chamber bags
- Compounded parenteral nutrition
- Monobags/mixing bags
- 2 or 3 chamber Bags
By Consumer, 2018 – 2032 (USD Million)
- Newborn & children
By End-user, 2018 – 2032 (USD Million)
- Homecare settings
- Other end-users
The above information is provided for the following regions and countries:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of Middle East & Africa