Veterinary Sutures Treatment Market Size
Veterinary Sutures Market size was valued at USD 41.6 million in 2022 and is estimated to account for USD 82.5 million by 2032. In recent years, the market has experienced notable expansion, primarily due to several factors such as the growing pet population and a rising incidence of chronic diseases among animals.
To understand key trends
Download Free Sample
As the number of pets is increasing among individuals for companionships, the need for veterinary care and surgical treatments will also rise. For instance, according to the APPA National Pet Owners Survey 2021-2022, nearly 70% of households in the U.S. own a pet, totaling approximately 90.5 million households. Thus, with a larger pet population, there are more surgeries, treatments, and medical procedures performed on animals, leading to a higher demand for veterinary sutures, thereby augmenting the market share.
Veterinary sutures are medical devices used by veterinarians to stitch together tissues and close wounds during surgical procedures in animals. These sutures are essential elements in veterinary surgical instruments, facilitating the healing process by holding tissues together until they can naturally mend.
Veterinary Sutures Market Report Attributes
|Veterinary Sutures Market Size in 2022:||USD 41.6 Million|
|Forecast Period:||2023 to 2032|
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2032 CAGR:||6.6%|
|2032 Value Projection:||USD 82.5 Million|
|Historical Data for:||2018 to 2022|
|No. of Pages:||210|
|Tables, Charts & Figures:||369|
|Segments covered:||Product Type, Animal Type, Application, End-user, and Region|
- Increasing pet population
- Rising veterinary healthcare
- Increasing prevalence of chronic diseases
|Pitfalls & Challenges:|
- Post-surgical complications
- Lack of standardization
To understand market opportunities
Download Free Sample
The COVID-19 pandemic had negative impact on the veterinary sutures market. The market saw a decline in elective surgeries. To conserve resources and reduce the risk of virus transmission, many veterinary clinics and hospitals postponed or cancelled non-essential surgical procedures during the height of the pandemic. This included elective surgeries like spaying and neutering, which are major contributors to the demand for sutures. Thus, owing to such factor, the market noted a significant negative impact during the COVID-19 outbreak in 2020.
Veterinary Sutures Market Trends
- The market is experiencing significant growth due to several key drivers. One of the primary drivers is the steadily growing pet population. For instance, according to the European Pet Food Industry Federation (FEDIAF) concluded that in 2022, there were 340 million pets in Europe, mostly cats (127 million) and dogs (104 million).
Therefore, as more households welcome pets into their families, the need for veterinary care, including surgical procedures with sutures, continues to rise. This growing pet ownership trend is further fueled by the increasing emphasis on quality veterinary healthcare, which encourages the use of sutures for various medical procedures.
- Post-surgical complications in veterinary sutures can manifest due to various factors and may differ based on the nature of the surgery, the type of suture material employed, and the overall health of the animal patient. One common complication is wound dehiscence and infection at the surgical site, which can occur if pathogens infiltrate the wound, leading to inflammation, delayed healing, and further complications.
This can result from suture failure or excessive tension on the wound. Thus, such fragmentation can make it challenging for buyers to compare products effectively, thereby potentially limiting market progress.
Veterinary Sutures Market Analysis
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on product type, the global market is segmented into absorbable and non-absorbable sutures. The absorbable suture segment held the largest market size in 2022 with a USD 25.6 million.
- The dominance of the segment can be attributed to their convenience of not having to remove sutures and is highly beneficial. It reduces the need for additional veterinary visits, saving time and resources for both veterinarians and pet owners.
- Further, veterinarians often prioritize the welfare and comfort of their animal patients. Therefore, absorbable sutures, by eliminating the need for suture removal, contribute to a more comfortable and stress-free recovery process for animals, aligning with the ethical principles of veterinary care.
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on animal type, the veterinary sutures market is classified into small & medium animal and larger animal. The small & medium animal segment dominated the market and accounted for 62.8% business share in the year 2022.
- High segment share is attributable to more ownership of these animals such as, cats and dogs. Small and medium-sized animals, particularly dogs and cats, offer several distinct advantages within the market. One of the primary benefits lies in their higher patient volume. These animals, being more numerous compared to larger species, contribute significantly to the market's steady demand for sutures.
- They undergo a wide spectrum of surgical procedures, from routine surgeries like spaying and neutering to more complex interventions, creating a diverse and consistent demand for various suture types.
Based on application, the veterinary sutures market is divided into dental surgery, orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, ophthalmic surgery, and other surgeries. The dental surgery segment dominated the market and is expected to reach USD 23.8 million by 2032.
- Dental surgery holds a pivotal role in the market, offering a host of advantages and opportunities for growth. With the mounting emphasis on pet dental health, the demand for dental surgeries in veterinary practice is on the rise. These procedures encompass a wide range of treatments, including tooth extractions, oral mass removals, and periodontal interventions, all of which necessitate sutures for wound closure.
- Thus, the dental segment of the market benefits from this specialization, contributing to the market's overall growth and offering enhanced solutions for oral surgical procedures in small and large animal patients.
Based on end-user, the veterinary sutures market is classified into veterinary clinics, veterinary hospitals, and research centres and academia. The veterinary clinics held the largest segment with USD 23.5 million in 2022.
- Veterinary clinics perform a vast number of surgeries and medical procedures every day. The high volume of procedures conducted in veterinary clinics creates a constant and significant demand for sutures.
- Additionally, these clinics are usually the primary point of care for pet owners. They are the first place where pet owners seek medical attention for their animals. As a result, these clinics handle a large number of surgeries, wound closures, and other medical procedures. This necessities the use of sutures in such surgeries, thereby fostering the market expansion.
To understand regional trends  Download Free Sample
The North America veterinary sutures market is expected to grow at 6.2% during the analysis period.
- Notably, it boasts one of the largest market sizes for veterinary sutures globally. This prominence is attributed to the region's substantial pet population, a heightened awareness of animal health, and a well-developed veterinary care infrastructure.
- Companion animal ownership, in particular, is prevalent in North America, with a significant number of households caring for dogs, cats, and other pets, contributing to a consistent demand for veterinary sutures.
Veterinary Sutures Market Share
The industry leaders operating in this market have established themselves through, continuous research & development, and a strong market presence. Vitrex, B. Braun Melsungen AG, and CP Medical account significant market share. These prominent players thrive through a combination of strategic approaches, diverse product portfolio, research and development initiatives, market understanding, and regulatory compliance.
Market players operating in the veterinary sutures is as mentioned below:
- Johnson & Johnson
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- CP Medical
- AIP Medical SA
- Neogen Corporation
- Medtronic plc
- Vitrex medical
- DemeTECH Corporation.medical
Veterinary Sutures Industry News:
- In April 2021, Medtronic plc launched a research & development center in India. This new setting helped to develop the new innovative and specific sutures for veterinary purpose via extensive research. Thus, it helped to increase the product portfolio and geographic outreach.
- In July 2018, B. Braun collaborated with CP Medical for marketing and distribution of products of veterinary infusion therapy and wound therapy which includes needles, sutures, and bandages. This helped the company to increase the product offering and generate revenue from its sales.
The veterinary sutures market research report includes an in-depth coverage of the industry with estimates & forecast in terms of revenue in USD Million from 2018 to 2032 for the following segments:
Click here to Buy Section of this Report
By Product Type, 2018 – 2032 (USD Million)
- Product type
- Absorbable suture
- Polyglactin suture
- Polyglycolic acid suture
- Other absorbable sutures
- Non-absorbable suture
- Nylon suture
- Polyester suture
- Other non-absorbable sutures
By Animal Type, 2018 – 2032 (USD Million)
- Small & medium animal
- Larger animal
By Application, 2018-2032 (USD Million)
- Dental surgery
- Orthopedic surgery
- Ophthalmic surgery
- Other surgeries
By End-use, 2018-2032 (USD Million)
- Veterinary clinics
- Veterinary hospitals
- Research centers and academia
The above information is provided for the following regions and countries:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa