Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection Market Analysis
The market by product is categorized into knives, gastroscopes & colonoscopes, injection agents, graspers/clips, tissue retractors, and other products. The knives segment garnered USD 105.5 million revenue in 2022.
- ESD knives are specifically developed for precision cutting and dissection of submucosal tissue in the gastrointestinal tract. The high degree of accuracy they provide is critical for removing aberrant tissue, such as early-stage cancers or big polyps, while causing the least amount of harm to adjacent healthy tissue. This accuracy is especially valuable for treatments where tissue preservation is crucial, such as in early cancer situations.
- Furthermore, continuous research and development in the field has led in advancements in knife design, such as better ergonomics, sharper cutting edges, and extra features that promote safety and convenience of use. These developments have resulted in increased trust in the execution of ESD procedures, leading to the segment progress.
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on application, the endoscopic submucosal dissection market is segmented into stomach cancer, colon cancer, and esophageal cancer. The stomach cancer segment dominated the market and accounted for over 63% business share in the year 2022 and is anticipated to witness highest growth during the forecast period.
- The prevalence of stomach cancer varies by area, but it remains a major health problem in many regions of the world. According to American Cancer Society, Inc. approximately 1.5% of all new cancer cases reported in the US each year are stomach cancers. People are diagnosed at an average age of 68. Every year, around 6 out of every 10 individuals diagnosed with stomach cancer are 65 or older. As a result, there is an increasing pool of patients who may benefit from early identification and treatment, fueling demand for ESD as a therapy alternative.
- Moreover, ESD is a minimally invasive procedure that allows for the removal of cancerous lesions without the need for open surgery. This approach offers several advantages, including smaller incisions, reduced post-operative pain, shorter hospital stays, faster recovery times, and a lower risk of complications. Patients and healthcare providers prefer minimally invasive options, which contribute to the growth of ESD for stomach cancer treatment.
The endoscopic submucosal dissection market by end-use is categorized into hospitals, specialty clinics, and ambulatory surgical centers. The hospitals segment garnered USD 195.8 million revenue in 2022.
- Hospitals typically have well-equipped facilities, including state-of-the-art endoscopy units and operating rooms, which are essential for performing ESD safely and effectively. The availability of advanced equipment and instrumentation is a significant driver for the growth of ESD, as it allows for the precise execution of these procedures.
- Additionally, hospitals have the resources to invest in specialized ESD equipment, such as high-definition endoscopes, electrosurgical units, insufflators, and other necessary instruments. This access to cutting-edge technology is essential for ensuring the quality and safety of ESD procedures. This is anticipated to boost the segment growth in the market.
To understand regional trends  Download Free Sample
North America endoscopic submucosal dissection market accounted for USD 148.4 million revenue size in 2022 and is predicted to witness substantial market growth over the analysis timeline.
- North America has a well-developed and technologically advanced healthcare infrastructure, including hospitals, specialized endoscopy units, and research facilities. This infrastructure supports the adoption of ESD by providing the necessary equipment, facilities, and expertise required for these procedures.
- Furthermore, the region has a substantial number of skilled gastroenterologists, endoscopists, and surgeons who have received specialized training in ESD techniques. The presence of these highly trained professionals is critical for the successful implementation and growth of ESD in the region.