Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection Market Size
Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection Market size was valued at USD 333.6 million in 2022 and is estimated to account for USD 629.4 million by 2032. Owing to rising incidence of gastrointestinal diseases, increasing advancements in endoscopic technologies, growing geriatric population, and increasing demand for minimally invasive procedures, the market is expected to grow at a significant rate over the forecast period.
To understand key trends
Download Free Sample
Moreover, the prevalence of early-stage gastrointestinal cancers, precancerous lesions, large polyps, and other disorders is increasing. The endoscopic submucosal dissection method is an effective treatment option for such disorders, which drives ESDs demand in the market. According to a publication by the International Agency for Research on Cancer, gastrointestinal (GI) cancers account for approximately 1 out of every 4 cancer cases and 1 in every 3 cancer-related fatalities globally.
Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection Market Report Attributes
|Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection Market Size in 2022:||USD 333.6 Million|
|Forecast Period:||2023 to 2032|
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2032 CAGR:||6.3%|
|2032 Value Projection:||USD 629.4 Million|
|Historical Data for:||2018 to 2022|
|No. of Pages:||120|
|Tables, Charts & Figures:||213|
|Segments covered:||Product, Application, End-use, and Region|
- Rising incidence of gastrointestinal diseases
- Growing geriatric population
- Increasing advancements in endoscopic technologies
|Pitfalls & Challenges:|
- High cost of equipment and procedure
- Limited availability of skilled endoscopists
To understand market opportunities
Download Free Sample
Endoscopic submucosal dissection is a specialized minimally invasive surgical technique used in the field of gastroenterology to remove abnormal tissue from the gastrointestinal tract.
The COVID-19 pandemic had a negative impact on the endoscopic submucosal dissection market. During the initial phases of the pandemic, various healthcare institutions postponed or cancelled non-emergency treatments, including ESD, in order to save healthcare resources and limit the risk of transmission of the virus. This resulted in a considerable decrease in endoscopic submucosal dissection procedure volumes. Moreover, patient reluctance to seeking medical care, as well as the temporary closure or reduced operation of outpatient facilities and endoscopic units, resulting in a decrease in the number of patients having ESD operations. Patients were concerned about the risk of affecting from virus in hospitals.
Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection Market Trends
The market is experiencing several notable trends that are shaping its growth and development. Factors such as, growing application in early cancer diagnostics and treatment, increased emphasis on infection control, and rising demand for minimally invasive procedures.
- ESD is increasingly used for the early detection and treatment of gastrointestinal cancers, including esophageal, gastric, and colorectal cancers. This trend is driven by the desire to diagnose and treat cancers at an earlier stage, improving patient outcomes.
- Moreover, technological advancements, such as the development of more sophisticated endotherapy devices and instruments, continue to benefit ESD. Furthermore, high-definition imaging systems, improved electrosurgical blades, and specialized accessories all contribute to increase accuracy and safety during endoscopic submucosal dissection treatments.
Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection Market Analysis
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
The market by product is categorized into knives, gastroscopes & colonoscopes, injection agents, graspers/clips, tissue retractors, and other products. The knives segment garnered USD 105.5 million revenue in 2022.
- ESD knives are specifically developed for precision cutting and dissection of submucosal tissue in the gastrointestinal tract. The high degree of accuracy they provide is critical for removing aberrant tissue, such as early-stage cancers or big polyps, while causing the least amount of harm to adjacent healthy tissue. This accuracy is especially valuable for treatments where tissue preservation is crucial, such as in early cancer situations.
- Furthermore, continuous research and development in the field has led in advancements in knife design, such as better ergonomics, sharper cutting edges, and extra features that promote safety and convenience of use. These developments have resulted in increased trust in the execution of ESD procedures, leading to the segment progress.
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on application, the endoscopic submucosal dissection market is segmented into stomach cancer, colon cancer, and esophageal cancer. The stomach cancer segment dominated the market and accounted for over 63% business share in the year 2022 and is anticipated to witness highest growth during the forecast period.
- The prevalence of stomach cancer varies by area, but it remains a major health problem in many regions of the world. According to American Cancer Society, Inc. approximately 1.5% of all new cancer cases reported in the US each year are stomach cancers. People are diagnosed at an average age of 68. Every year, around 6 out of every 10 individuals diagnosed with stomach cancer are 65 or older. As a result, there is an increasing pool of patients who may benefit from early identification and treatment, fueling demand for ESD as a therapy alternative.
- Moreover, ESD is a minimally invasive procedure that allows for the removal of cancerous lesions without the need for open surgery. This approach offers several advantages, including smaller incisions, reduced post-operative pain, shorter hospital stays, faster recovery times, and a lower risk of complications. Patients and healthcare providers prefer minimally invasive options, which contribute to the growth of ESD for stomach cancer treatment.
The endoscopic submucosal dissection market by end-use is categorized into hospitals, specialty clinics, and ambulatory surgical centers. The hospitals segment garnered USD 195.8 million revenue in 2022.
- Hospitals typically have well-equipped facilities, including state-of-the-art endoscopy units and operating rooms, which are essential for performing ESD safely and effectively. The availability of advanced equipment and instrumentation is a significant driver for the growth of ESD, as it allows for the precise execution of these procedures.
- Additionally, hospitals have the resources to invest in specialized ESD equipment, such as high-definition endoscopes, electrosurgical units, insufflators, and other necessary instruments. This access to cutting-edge technology is essential for ensuring the quality and safety of ESD procedures. This is anticipated to boost the segment growth in the market.
To understand regional trends  Download Free Sample
North America endoscopic submucosal dissection market accounted for USD 148.4 million revenue size in 2022 and is predicted to witness substantial market growth over the analysis timeline.
- North America has a well-developed and technologically advanced healthcare infrastructure, including hospitals, specialized endoscopy units, and research facilities. This infrastructure supports the adoption of ESD by providing the necessary equipment, facilities, and expertise required for these procedures.
- Furthermore, the region has a substantial number of skilled gastroenterologists, endoscopists, and surgeons who have received specialized training in ESD techniques. The presence of these highly trained professionals is critical for the successful implementation and growth of ESD in the region.
Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection Market Share
The endoscopic submucosal dissection industry is competitive in nature, with major companies competing to offer superior endoscopic submucosal dissection in this business space. Prominent players such as Olympus Corporation, FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation, Boston Scientific Corporation, and Cook Medical hold a significant share in this market. These companies are diligently directing their efforts towards continuous product innovation to gain substantial market share.
Some of the eminent market participants operating in the endoscopic submucosal dissection industry include:
- Ovesco Endoscopy AG
- Micro-Tech Endoscopy
- KARL STORZ SE & Co. KG
- Zeon Medical Inc.
- Cook Medical
- Leo Medical Co., Ltd.
- Boston Scientific Corporation
- FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
- Beijing ZKSK Technology Co., Ltd.
- Hangzhou AGS Medical Technology Co., Ltd
- Olympus Corporation
- Creo Medical PLC
Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection Industry News:
- In January 2023, FUJIFILM India has announced the launch of the ClutchCutter and FushKnife to their endoscopic product range. The newly announced products are designed to be coupled with suitable endoscopes and are used for ESD and EMR treatments. These devices assist medical professionals in executing successful endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) interventions within the digestive system.
- In June 2020, Olympus has announced the launch of the FDA-cleared HookKnifeJ for the esophagus, stomach, and colon, as well as the TriangleTipKnifeJ for the esophagus and stomach. Both knives have integrated submucosal injection to offer efficient, safe, and dependable ESD performance and to shorten the time required to complete an ESD treatment.
Endoscopic submucosal dissection market research report includes an in-depth coverage of the industry with estimates & forecast in terms of revenue in USD from 2018 to 2032 for the following segments:
Click here to Buy Section of this Report
By Product, 2018-2032 (USD Million)
- Gastroscopes & colonoscopes
- Injection agents
- Tissue retractors
- Other products
By Application, 2018-2032 (USD Million)
- Stomach cancer
- Colon cancer
- Esophageal cancer
By End-use, 2018-2032 (USD Million)
- Specialty clinics
- Ambulatory surgical centers
The above information is provided for the following regions and countries:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa