Vaginal Slings Market Size
Vaginal Slings Market size was valued at around USD 1.6 billion in 2023 and is estimated to expand at 9% CAGR from 2024 to 2032. This robust market growth can be attributed to various factors, including ongoing advancements in technology, an increase in the prevalence of stress urinary incontinence (SUI), a rising demand for minimally invasive procedures, the continual growth of healthcare expenditure, and an escalating need for female urology devices, among other contributing factors.
To understand key trends
Download Free Sample
Furthermore, the prevalence of urinary incontinence has increased significantly with the aging global population, with stress urinary incontinence (SUI) becoming more common as individuals age. This demographic shift plays a crucial role in driving the demand for vaginal slings. For example, a survey conducted by the European Respiratory Society from March 2018 to September 2020 found that out of 210 women with chronic cough, 133 (63.3%) experienced stress urinary incontinence due to cough episodes. Of these 133 women, 123 (92.5%) reported that urinary incontinence began after the onset of chronic cough, predominantly occurring during or shortly after coughing.
Furthermore, continuous advancements in surgical techniques and materials used in vaginal sling treatments aim to improve efficacy, safety, and overall patient outcomes. The integration of technological innovations serves as a compelling factor, attracting both healthcare providers and patients, thereby contributing to the growth of the market.
Vaginal slings are medical devices used in the surgical treatment of stress urinary incontinence (SUI) in women. Stress urinary incontinence is a condition characterized by the involuntary leakage of urine during activities that increase intra-abdominal pressure, such as coughing, sneezing, laughing, or physical exertion.
Vaginal Slings Market Report Attributes
|Vaginal Slings Market Size in 2023:
|USD 1.6 Billion
|2024 to 2032
|Forecast Period 2024 to 2032 CAGR:
|2032 Value Projection:
|USD 3.6 Billion
|Historical Data for:
|2018 - 2023
|No. of Pages:
|Tables, Charts & Figures:
|Product, Incontinence Type, Type, End-use, and Region
- Increasing prevalence of urinary incontinence (UI)
- Growing geriatric population
- Increasing advancements in surgical techniques
- Rising awareness of pelvic floor disorders and their treatment options
|Pitfalls & Challenges:
- High cost of vaginal sling procedure
- Safety and efficacy concerns
To understand market opportunities
Download Free Sample
Vaginal Slings Market Trends
The market is experiencing several notable trends that are shaping its growth and development. Factors such as continuous technological advancements in surgical techniques, rising emphasis on personalized medicine, and a surging demand for integrated artificial intelligence (AI) in healthcare delivery, among other factors.
- Further, there is a noticeable shift towards patient-centered treatment in the healthcare landscape. Health care providers are placing more focus on recognizing and meeting the unique requirements and preferences of patients having vaginal sling operations. It includes shared decision-making, informed consent, and continual communication to improve patient satisfaction.
- Moreover, growing awareness of stress urinary incontinence and the available treatment options has led to a high number of individuals seeking medical assistance. Patient education initiatives, conducted both by healthcare providers and advocacy groups, play a role in reducing stigma and encouraging early intervention.
Vaginal Slings Market Analysis
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
The market by product is categorized into transobturator slings, tension-free vaginal tape slings, and mini-slings. The transobturator slings segment garnered USD 665.5 million revenue in 2023.
- Transobturator slings are well-known for their minimally invasive nature. This technique involves placing the sling through small incisions in the groin, eliminating the need for larger abdominal incisions. Patients often opt for minimally invasive procedures over traditional open surgical techniques due to their associated benefits, including quicker recovery times, reduced postoperative discomfort, and potentially lower complication rates.
- Furthermore, the transobturator approach mitigates the risk of vascular and nerve injuries, which were potential concerns with older surgical techniques. By avoiding the retropubic space (behind the pubic bone), where important blood vessels and nerves are located, transobturator slings aim to enhance the safety profile of the procedure.
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on incontinence type, the vaginal slings market is segmented into stress incontinence, urge incontinence, and mixed incontinence. The stress incontinence segment dominated the market and accounted for over 41.4% business share in 2023 and is anticipated to witness significant growth.
- The aging population is more susceptible to stress urinary incontinence due to changes in pelvic anatomy and muscle tone. As a result, the global increase in the number of elderly individuals contributes to the rising prevalence of stress incontinence and drives the demand for effective treatments such as vaginal slings.
- Moreover, the growing recognition of female urological conditions, including stress urinary incontinence, as significant health issues has resulted in increased awareness and research efforts. This surging awareness contributes to improved diagnosis, treatment options, and overall management of the condition, including the use of vaginal slings.
Based on type, the vaginal slings market is segmented into midurethral sling, and traditional sling. The midurethral sling segment dominated the market and accounted for over 77% business share in 2023.
- Midurethral slings are associated with excellent efficacy rates in treating stress urine incontinence. Numerous clinical studies and real-world data confirm the usefulness of midurethral slings in improving patients' continence care and quality of life, making them a popular choice among both healthcare practitioners and patients.
- Additionally, midurethral sling operations are popular due to their less invasive nature. These methods often use tiny incisions, resulting in shorter recovery durations, less postoperative discomfort, and a faster return to regular activities than standard open surgical approaches. The minimally invasive aspect significantly contributes to enhanced patient acceptability, thereby fostering segmental growth in the market.
The vaginal slings market by end-use is categorized into hospitals, clinics, and ambulatory surgical centers. The hospitals segment accounted for around USD 840.9 million revenue size in 2023.
- Hospitals are increasingly adopting minimally invasive surgical techniques, including vaginal sling procedures. Minimally invasive approaches result in shorter hospital stays, reduced recovery times, and lower overall healthcare costs. This aligns with the broader trend in healthcare towards less invasive interventions.
- Additionally, hospitals invest in training and education programs to ensure that healthcare professionals, including surgeons and nursing staff, are proficient in performing vaginal sling procedures. Competent and trained staff contribute to the successful implementation of these interventions in hospital settings.
To understand regional trends  Download Free Sample
North America vaginal slings market accounted for USD 385.2 million revenue in 2023 and is predicted to witness substantial market growth.
- North America is at the forefront of medical research and technological innovation. Ongoing advancements in surgical techniques, materials, and design of vaginal slings contribute to the region's leadership in adopting and implementing the latest and most advanced treatment options.
- Furthermore, patients in the region are generally well-informed about healthcare options and often seek advanced and minimally invasive treatments. The growing demand from patients for effective and sophisticated solutions, such as vaginal slings, influences healthcare providers to offer these procedures.
Vaginal Slings Market Share
The vaginal slings industry is competitive in nature, with several large multinationals and small and mid-sized companies competing in the industry. The development and launch of novel advanced products based on different technologies is among a key market strategy. Some of the leading industry players including B. Braun Melsungen AG, Betatech Medical, Boston Scientific Corporation, Caldera Medical, Coloplast Corp, among others have a notable presence in the market.
Vaginal Slings Market Companies
Some of the eminent market participants operating in the vaginal slings industry include:
- A.M.I. GmbH
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Betatech Medical
- Boston Scientific Corporation
- Caldera Medical
- Coloplast Corp
- Cousin Surgery
- Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc.
- Lotus Surgicals
- Neomedic International
- Promedon S.A.
Vaginal Slings Industry News:
- In December 2021, Caldera Medical received 510(k) approval for marketing from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the Desara system. It is a transvaginal sling device designed to treat female stress urinary incontinence (SUI). The device improves physicians' flexibility and facilitates the efficient use of their equipment and implants during surgical procedures.
Vaginal slings market research report includes an in-depth coverage of the industry with estimates & forecast in terms of revenue in USD Million from 2018 to 2032 for the following segments:
Click here to Buy Section of this Report
Market, By Product
- Transobturator slings
- Tension-free vaginal tape slings
- Mini slings
Market, By Incontinence Type
- Stress incontinence
- Urge incontinence
- Mixed incontinence
Market, By Type
- Midurethral slings
- Traditional slings
Market, By End-use
- Ambulatory surgical centers
The above information is provided for the following regions and countries:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East and Africa