Steerable Needles Market Size
Steerable Needles Market size was valued at USD 1.3 billion in 2022 and is estimated to account for USD 2.5 billion by 2032. Steerable needles are medical devices designed with a flexible tip that can be guided or steered through tissues and organs to reach specific target locations within the body.
To understand key trends
Download Free Sample
These needles are used in various medical procedures, including biopsies, cancer treatments, and other minimally invasive interventions. Cancer is one of the leading causes of death worldwide. As per statistics, in 2023, 1,958,310 new cancer cases and 609,820 deaths due to cancer are anticipated to occur in the U.S. Therefore, as the burden of cancer continues to rise, the demand for steerable biopsy needles will also increase.
Steerable Needles Market Report Attributes
|Steerable Needles Market Size in 2022:||USD 1.3 Billion|
|Forecast Period:||2023 to 2032|
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2032 CAGR:||6.7%|
|2032 Value Projection:||USD 2.5 Billion|
|Historical Data for:||2018 to 2022|
|No. of Pages:||154|
|Tables, Charts & Figures:||283|
|Segments covered:||Type, Application, End-use, and Region|
- Growing prevalence of chronic diseases
- Rising surgical procedures
- Technological advancements in steerable needles
- Surge in awareness regarding minimally invasive surgeries
|Pitfalls & Challenges:|
- Infections associated with steerable needles
- Stringent regulatory scenario
To understand market opportunities
Download Free Sample
Technological advancements in steerable needles have significantly improved their precision, flexibility, and usability in various medical procedures. Robotic systems can assist surgeons in guiding steerable needles with high precision. For instance, the da Vinci Surgical System by Intuitive Surgical is a robotic surgical platform that includes various specialized instruments, including steerable needles, for minimally invasive surgeries. Therefore, the increasing technological advancements will boost the adoption rate of steerable needles.
The COVID-19 pandemic had a detrimental impact on the steerable needles market primarily due to disruptions in supply chains, reduced demand for non-urgent medical procedures, resource reallocation, financial strain on healthcare system, and market uncertainty. These factors collectively led to decreased adoption of steerable needles and deferred surgical procedures for treatment of diseases. Therefore, the pandemic significantly hindered the growth and operational dynamics of the market for steerable needles.
Steerable Needles Market Trends
Steerable needles are crucial in minimally invasive surgeries as they allow surgeons to navigate through tissues with precision, making them ideal for procedures in which small incisions are made. For instance, in laparoscopic surgeries, steerable needles can be used for tasks such as tissue biopsies or tumor ablations. Thus, rising use of steerable needles in minimally invasive procedures is said to augment the market progress.
- Steerable needles are employed in various cancer treatments, such as RFA or cryoablation, wherein they help to deliver therapies directly into tumors. In brachytherapy, which was valued at USD 716 million in 2022, steerable needles are used to place radioactive sources precisely within or near the tumor site.
- Therefore, as the demand and availability of steerable needles continue to grow, the need for steerable needles as a part of comprehensive medical care will also rise.
Steerable Needles Market Analysis
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
The market by type is categorized into bevel-tip flexible needles, symmetric-tip needles, tendonactuated tips. The bevel-tip flexible needles segment garnered USD 741 million revenue size in the year 2022. The dominance of the segment can be attributed to their enhanced visibility, versatility, and established efficacy.
- Bevel-tip needles are designed with a sharp slanted edge, allowing for precise targeting of tissues or specific anatomical structures. This precision is particularly important in medical procedures in which accuracy is crucial, such as biopsies or injections.
- Additionally, the sharp beveled tip requires less force to penetrate tissues, reducing trauma to surrounding structures. This minimizes pain, discomfort, and the risk of complications, making the procedure more tolerable for the patient.
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on application, the steerable needles market is segmented into biopsy, tumor ablation, pain management, robotic assisted surgery, and other applications. The biopsy segment accounted for over 34% business share in the year 2022. High segment share is attributed to high incidence of cancer, immediate treatment requirements, and accurate diagnostic results.
- Steerable needles are invaluable tools in biopsy procedures, allowing healthcare professionals to accurately target and obtain tissue samples for diagnostic purposes.
- Additionally, some tumors or lesions are located in challenging anatomical locations. These needles can navigate through complex pathways or around sensitive structures, allowing physicians to access and sample tissues that might be difficult to reach with traditional straight needles.
- Further, steerable needles are often used in conjunction with imaging technologies such as diagnostic ultrasound, CT scanners, or MRI systems. These imaging modalities provide real-time visualization, allowing healthcare providers to monitor the needle's position and adjust its trajectory as needed, ensuring precise targeting of the tissue sample.
The steerable needles market by end-use is categorized into hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, and others. The hospitals segment garnered USD 713 million revenue size in the year 2022.
- Steerable needles are advanced medical devices used in hospitals for a variety of procedures across different medical specialties. They are utilized in interventional radiology procedures for tasks such as tumor ablation, embolization, and drainage.
- Furthermore, hospitals often use steerable needles in R&D projects, exploring new techniques and applications. Researchers and medical professionals work together to improve the functionality and versatility of these needles for various medical procedures.
To understand regional trends  Download Free Sample
U.S. steerable needles market accounted for USD 497 million revenue size in 2022 and is predicted to witness substantial market growth over the analysis timeline.
- The U.S. has solidified its dominant position in the market, primarily attributed to the annual increase in chronic diseases including breast cancer. For instance, in 2023, approximately 297,790 fresh cases of invasive breast cancer are anticipated to be detected in the U.S. women.
- Furthermore, U.S. advanced healthcare infrastructure, leadership in innovative medical practices, high surgical volume, and accessibility to advanced products contribute to its central role in the market.
Steerable Needles Market Share
The steerable needles industry is consolidated, with major players such as Boston Scientific Corporation, Olympus Corporation dominating the market. These companies are focused on continuous product innovation to secure a significant market share. For instance, in December 2020, Veran Medical Technologies, Inc. (VMT), a medical device firm focused on creating and marketing novel devices such endobronchial tools, including needles, was acquired by Olympus Corporation. Such strategies help companies to strengthen their expertise, broaden their product offering, and boost their operational capabilities.
Some of the eminent market participants operating in the Steerable needles industry include:
- AprioMed, Inc.
- Merit Medical Systems
- Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc.
- Boston Scientific Corporation
- Serpex Medical
- Olympus Corporation
- APT Medical Inc.
- Elekta Instrument AB
- Terumo Corporation
- Smith & Nephew
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Stryker Corporation
- BD (Becton, Dickinson, and Company)
Steerable Needles Industry News:
- In April 2023, Body Vision Medical and Serpex Medical disclosed that the Cleveland Clinic had successfully completed the primary lung nodule biopsy using Body Vision's LungVision real-time, intraoperative CT imaging system and Sepex's compass steerable needle. This endeavor will accelerate the global use of recently introduced steerable needles, spurring market expansion.
- In August 2022, Serpex Medical acquired the 510 (k) clearance from the U.S. FDA for its Recon Steerable Sheath, which offers delivery at the distal end to provide doctors access to hard-to-reach parts of the lung. During the projected period, this approval is anticipated to improve disease detection and boost product usage, fueling market expansion.
Steerable needles market research report includes an in-depth coverage of the industry with estimates & forecast in terms of revenue in USD and volume in Units from 2018 to 2032 for the following segments:
Click here to Buy Section of this Report
By Type, 2018-2032 (USD Million & Units)
- Bevel-tip flexible needles
- Symmetric-tip needles
- Tendonactuated tips
By Application, 2018-2032 (USD Million)
- Tumor ablation
- Pain management
- Robotic assisted surgery
- Other applications
By End-use, 2018-2032 (USD Million)
- Ambulatory surgical centers
- Other end-users
The above information is provided for the following regions and countries:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa