Fortified Salts Market Size
Fortified Salts Market size is projected to expand at over 8% CAGR from 2023 to 2032, attributed to the escalating emphasis on addressing nutritional deficiencies such as osteomalacia and iron deficiency. Fortified salts, which are enriched with essential micronutrients such as iodine, iron, and fluoride, have become an effective method to combat deficiencies. Governments and health organizations globally are implementing public health initiatives that foster the intake of these salts, markedly in regions where these deficiencies are widespread. As per a report published on NIH.gov, in 2022, around 10 million people were iron deficient in the U.S. and it includes 5 million anaemia patients.
To understand key trends
Download Free Sample
Changing dietary patterns and lifestyles are also instrumental in shaping the industry dynamics. As consumers constantly rely on processed and convenience foods, there is a growing need to maintain their nutritional value. Fortified salts are being integrated into a wide range of food items, such as bakery products, condiments, and snacks, thus increasing the nutritional content of these popular consumer choices. Along with health-conscious consumers demanding healthier food options, it offers both flavor and added nutritional benefits.
|2023 to 2032
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2032 CAGR:
|Historical Data for:
|2018 to 2022
|No. of Pages:
|Tables, Charts & Figures:
|Product, Application, Distribution Channel, and Region
To understand market opportunities
Download Free Sample
Moreover, the rising health concerns necessitate the consumption of fortified salts to avert and manage conditions such as dental fluorosis and anaemia. There is increased emphasis on adopting preventive measure. As consumers maintain their focus on health and wellness, the fortified salts market will expansion, propelled by the need for vital nutrients to enhance overall health.
Regulatory challenges and differing standards for fortification across various countries are hindering market growth by creating difficulties for manufacturers in terms of compliance and product formulation. In addition, resistance from some consumers to accept the product due to taste preferences and misconceptions regarding the potential health effects of specific additives is deterring experimentations among players. It is crucial to overcome these challenges in order to fully realize the growth potential of the industry.
Fortified salts market experienced a dual impact from the COVID-19 pandemic. On one hand, the rising awareness about the importance of good nutrition during the global health crisis led to a surge in demand for fortified food products. However, interruptions in the supply chain, production challenges, and economic uncertainties brought about by the pandemic created obstacles for manufacturers and suppliers. Thus, while the COVID-19 initially led to increased consumer interest in the product, it also presented operational challenges that deterred market dynamics to some extent.
Fortified Salts Market Trends
As health-consciousness grows, consumers are seeking out fortified salts supplemented with essential nutrients such as iodine, iron, and fluoride. This trend aligns with the wider shift towards healthier eating patterns, emphasizing the importance of maintaining nutritional balance in one's diet. Manufacturers are responding to this demand by introducing varied products.
For instance, in October 2023, Canada based Bartek Ingredients Inc. launched a new line of electrolyte and fortification salts, branded as Refortify, at the SupplySide West trade show in Las Vegas. This lineup includes magnesium malate, mono-sodium malate, and mono-potassium malate.
There is focus among brands on offering fortified salt that address the deficiencies and various health concerns. The salts fortified with iodine are gaining traction to combat iodine deficiency. Similarly, salts combined with iron are becoming popular as a solution for addressing anaemia. This trend reflects the industry’s responsiveness to prevalent health issues and the role of salts in alleviating these concerns.
Moreover, developments in food technology and packaging are shaping the fortified salts market dynamics. Manufacturers are exploring innovative ways to fortify salts while assuring product stability and shelf life. Packaging innovations are underway for preserving the nutrient content of the product, ensuring high quality. The technology and packaging R&D will continue to create growth opportunities in the market.
Fortified Salts Market Analysis
Idoine fortified salts segment will witness strong growth rate through 2032, on account of the role of mineral in maintenance of Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR) in humans for proper functioning of all bodily organs.
- Iodine aids in combatting iodine deficiency diseases, which continue to be a significant public health concern in several regions. Iodized salt is known as an effective and cost-efficient method to ensure an adequate intake of iodine, promoting thyroid health and avoiding related health issues.
- With the growing awareness of iodine's importance for overall well-being, health-conscious consumers are seeking iodine-fortified products. Inclination for healthier dietary options has spurred the popularity of iodized salts.
Household & animal feed application of fortified salts market will observe strong growth rate of over 7.5% through 2032, due to increasing consumer awareness in conjunction with a cattle disease outbreak.
- The product provides a comprehensive approach to nutrition for both human consumption and animal feed. It fulfils the dietary needs of households while also ensuring the nutrition of pets & livestock.
- By choosing fortified salts that serve multiple purposes, consumers can decrease the need to buy separate nutritional supplements for themselves and their animals, making it an economical choice.
As per distribution channel, fortified salts market from hypermarket & supermarket segment will record more than 7% till 2032, attributed to huge discount to the customers on purchasing bulk items and convenience.
- These stores generally display a diverse collection of the product brands and types, letting consumers compare and choose the best to suit their needs and dietary requirements.
- Many customers prefer the in-person shopping experience provided by hypermarkets and supermarkets. It enables them to examine the products, read labels, and get instant assistance from store staff.
Fortified salts market in Asia Pacific will gain remarkable momentum during the forecast timeline, owing to the inclination for nutritious food among the rising geriatric population to increase life expectancy. Growing awareness of iodine deficiency diseases and other nutritional gaps in the region, along with government-led initiatives and public health campaigns have played a vital role in increasing the product consumption. Consumers are realizing the importance of iodine, iron, and other essential nutrients in the daily diet, making them an important component of preventive healthcare strategies. Further, the changing dietary patterns and the rising demand for processed foods have boosted the product usage, adding to industry revenues.
Fortified Salts Market Share
Leading companies in the global fortified salts industry, including Tata Chemicals, are using innovative methods to expand their regional footprint such as strategic partnerships, mergers, and product launches. Tata Chemicals, in particular, is driven by its commitment to offer high-quality, nutrient-enriched salt products. The company's launch, such as the 'Tata Salt' brand, has helped address the health concerns by providing iodized salt to customers, thus contributing to improved public health outcomes. Similar steps are being undertaking by other major companies, namely:
- Compass Minerals
- Kutch Brine Chem Industries
- United Salt Corporation
- China National Salt Industry
- Schweizer Salinen
- Ankur Salt
Fortified Salts Industry News
- In June 2023, the Cereal Millers Association (CMA) and TechnoServe introduced the Kenya Millers Fortification Index (KMFI) to combat malnutrition. This index aimed to encourage local flour millers to produce highly fortified and nutritious food, with plans to extend its impact to other staple foods.
- In October 2023, Hindustan Salts Limited partnered with the National Federation of Farmers' Procurement along with RKJ Agro and Foods Private Ltd, to lead a groundbreaking initiative focused at guaranteeing the accessibility of premium salt in every house across India, starting in Uttar Pradesh.
The fortified salts market research report includes in-depth coverage of the industry with estimates & forecast in terms of volume in Tons & revenue in US$ Thousand from 2018 to 2032 for the following segments.
Market, By Products
- Double fortified
- Hospitality & service industry
- Food processing industry
- Animal feed
By Distribution Channel
- Hypermarkets & supermarkets
- Grocery stores
- Online stores
The above information has been provided for the following regions and countries:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Latin America (LATAM)
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :