Small Hydropower Market size to exceed 145 GW by 2024
Published Date: June 6, 2016 Authors: Ankit Gupta, Aditya Singh Bais
Small Hydropower Market size by installation was 115.16 GW in 2015, as per the latest research report by Global Market Insights, Inc. Rising domestic electricity consumption demand owing to population growth coupled with need to reduce dependency on conventional energy sources may enhance global small hydropower market growth.
Rising environmental concerns pertaining to GHG emission and favorable regulatory policies to promote small hydropower in remote areas as a sustainable energy generation are promising trend to positively influence industry demand.
Asia dominated the global electricity consumption accounted at over 40% of the total demand in 2015. Availability of potential sites coupled with presence of skilled labor is forecast to favor China and India small hydropower market growth. Vietnam small hydropower market is set to gain at over 6.5% CAGR up to 2024. Dense rivers with more than 2000 streams & rivers with length of over 9 km are the favorable natural assets to build SHP plant.
U.S. dominated the North America small hydropower market size, with installed capacity of 6.98 GW in 2015. Regulatory compliances by FERC to encourage renewable energy production accompanied by need to supply electricity in non-grid connectivity areas should positively influence market growth.
Growth in BRICS economy, and government efforts to supply electricity in remote areas. Supply issues in locations with no grid availability will open up opportunities for small hydropower plants. France is set to grow at more than 3% CAGR up to 2024. Efforts by various authorities such as European Small Hydropower Association (ESHA) to promote SHP are expected trending factor to fuel regional demand.
Africa small hydropower market share is forecast to grow at 3.9% CAGR up to 2024. The country owns immense untapped hydropower potential but government does not have enough capital to build plant itself. Foreign investment is among the key initiative to enhance industry growth.
Line stability, high lighting intensity, load shedding, inadequate equipment to compatible with old infrastructure may hinder small hydropower industry evolution. Another challenge is the existing substation, where the plant can be interconnected owing to houses and buildings are built nearby with no provisions was made for expansion.
To build a SHP plant it is essential to have an available & sustainable water stream within few hundred feet from the energy consumers. Logistics cost owing to less connectivity with the main city are expected challenging factors.
To access sample pages or view this report titled, “Small Hydropower Market Size By Region (U.S., Canada, Mexico, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria, China, India, Philippines, Japan, Vietnam, Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador), Price Trends, Installed Capacity, Competitive Market Share & Forecast, 2016 – 2024” in detail along with the table of contents, please click on the link below:
Key insights from the report include:
- Global small hydropower market size is forecast to reach 146.33 GW by 2024, growing at 2.7% CAGR up to 2024.
- APAC, predominant by China, Japan, & India led the regional industry with total installations around 83.65 GW in 2015.
- North America, dominated by the U.S. small hydropower market size, forecasts installations of more than 14 GW by 2024.
- Europe, led by Italy is estimated to gain at 2.3% CAGR up to 2024. Rising trend to refurbish or renew existing hydro plants may positively drive regional demand.
- Brazil dominated the South & Central America SHP demand and is set to reach 6.73 GW installations by 2024. Growing manufacturing industries accompanied by huge hydro potential site owing to Amazon river should fuel regional industry growth.
- Global small hydropower market share is fairly competitive and primarily persuade by regulatory policies. Voith, GE, Andritz Hydro, and Siemens are few key industry participants.
- Other prominent market players include 24H - Hydro Power, Agder Energi, Derwent, Lanco, Fortum Oyj, RusHydro, and StatKraft.
Global Market Insights has segmented the small hydropower industry on the basis of region:
Small Hydropower Regional Analysis (Capacity: MW, 2014 - 2024)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South & Central America
- South Africa
Explore More on Related Topics: