Wafer Cleaning Equipment Market Size
Wafer Cleaning Equipment Market size was valued at USD 9.5 billion in 2022 and is estimated to register a CAGR of over 11.5% between 2023 and 2032. The growth drivers for the wafer cleaning equipment industry are ongoing trend toward smaller and more complex semiconductor devices, driven by consumer electronics, IoT, and high-performance computing, requires higher levels of cleanliness during manufacturing.
To understand key trends
Download Free Sample
Advanced wafer cleaning equipment is needed to remove smaller particles and contaminants. The development and adoption of advanced semiconductor technology nodes (e.g., 7nm, 5nm, and beyond) demand stringent cleanliness standards. Wafer cleaning equipment plays a critical role in meeting these requirements. The growing demand for semiconductor chips in various industries, including automotive, healthcare, and telecommunications, leads to increased wafer manufacturing and, consequently, higher demand for wafer cleaning equipment.
Wafer cleaning equipment is designed to remove various types of contaminants, such as particles, organic residues, and chemical residues, from the surface of silicon wafers. This equipment employs a combination of mechanical, chemical, and/or ultrapure water-based processes to ensure that the wafers are free from impurities before proceeding to subsequent processing steps.
|Market Size in 2022:
|USD 9.5 Billion
|2023 to 2032
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2032 CAGR:
|2032 Value Projection:
|USD 25 Billion
|Historical Data for:
|2018 to 2022
|No. of Pages:
|Tables, Charts & Figures:
|Equipment type & Wafer Size
|Pitfalls & Challenges:
To understand market opportunities
Download Free Sample
Advanced wafer cleaning equipment can be expensive to acquire and maintain. This cost can be a restraint for semiconductor manufacturers, particularly for smaller companies or those with limited budgets. Another restraint is semiconductor manufacturing processes have become increasingly complex with smaller feature sizes and more advanced materials. Achieving the required level of cleanliness becomes more challenging with these advancements, and the complexity can be a restraint in terms of process development and control.
The impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on wafer cleaning equipment market were the demand for certain semiconductor products, such as consumer electronics and medical devices, increased during the pandemic, leading to higher demand for semiconductor manufacturing equipment, including wafer cleaning equipment. Lockdowns and restrictions affected the workforce in semiconductor manufacturing facilities. Adherence to health and safety protocols and remote work requirements posed challenges to the industry. Despite challenges, the pandemic accelerated innovation and investments in semiconductor manufacturing technologies, including wafer cleaning equipment, to meet the growing demand for electronics and advanced technologies.
Wafer Cleaning Equipment Market Trends
Ongoing developments in cleaning technologies, such as cryogenic cleaning, and advanced chemical processes, are aimed at achieving higher levels of cleanliness while minimizing damage to wafers. Single-wafer cleaning systems are gaining popularity due to their precision and ability to tailor cleaning processes to individual wafers. They are well-suited for advanced nodes and critical process steps. The industry is increasingly focused on environmentally friendly cleaning processes that reduce water and chemical usage, waste generation, and environmental impact.
Wafer Cleaning Equipment Market Analysis
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on type, the wafer cleaning equipment market is divided into single-wafer cleaning systems, batch cleaning systems, ultrasonic cleaning equipment and others. The single-wafer spray systems segment dominated the market in 2022, accounting for a share of over 29%. Single-wafer spray systems are advanced semiconductor wafer cleaning equipment used in the semiconductor manufacturing process. These systems are designed to clean individual silicon wafers with a high degree of precision and control. Single-wafer spray systems are capable of processing one silicon wafer at a time. This individual handling allows for customized and controlled cleaning processes for each wafer. These systems offer precise and targeted cleaning of specific areas on the wafer's surface. They can remove various contaminants, including particles, organic residues, and chemical films, with a high level of accuracy.
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on wafer size, the wafer cleaning equipment market is divided into 100mm, 150mm, 200mm, 300mm and 450mm. The 450mm segment dominated the market in 2022, accounting for a share of over 29%. The larger surface area of 300mm wafers allows for more semiconductor chips to be manufactured on a single wafer, leading to increased production efficiency, and reduced per-chip manufacturing costs. The transition to smaller technology nodes (e.g., 10nm, 7nm, and below) for semiconductor devices necessitates the use of larger wafers to maximize chip production and cost-effectiveness. Many semiconductor fabrication facilities (fabs) have invested in 300mm wafer processing equipment and technologies to support high-volume production of integrated circuits and other semiconductor devices. While 300mm wafers dominate, 200mm wafers (8-inch) are still used in some fabs, especially for older technology nodes and certain specialty applications.
To understand regional trends  Download Free Sample
Asia Pacific dominated the global wafer cleaning equipment market in 2022, accounting for a share of over 40%. APAC countries have a strong presence in semiconductor manufacturing, with a significant number of semiconductor fabrication facilities (fabs) and foundries. These facilities require advanced wafer cleaning equipment to maintain cleanliness standards. APAC fabs are known for their high-volume semiconductor production, which drives the demand for efficient and reliable wafer cleaning equipment to ensure the quality and yield of semiconductor devices. Many of the leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing processes and technology nodes, including sub-10nm nodes, are commonly found in the APAC region. These advanced processes demand stringent cleanliness standards and advanced wafer cleaning equipment.
Wafer Cleaning Equipment Market Share
The major players operating in the wafer cleaning equipment market include
- Applied Materials (U.S.)
- Applied Materials, Inc. (U.S.)
- Tokyo Electron Limited (Japan)
- Lam Research Corporation (U.S.)
- Screen Holdings Co. Ltd. (Japan)
- Entegris (U.S.)
- Suss Microtec SE. (Germany)
- PVA Teplaag (Germany)
- Shibaura Mechatronics Corporation (Japan)
- Modutek.com (U.S.)
- Akrion Technologies (U.S.)
- Ultron Systems, Inc. (U.S.)
These players focus on strategic partnerships, new product launches, and commercialization techniques for market expansion. They are also heavily investing in research to introduce innovative products and garner the maximum market revenue.
- Lam Research Corporation is a major player in the semiconductor equipment industry, including the market for wafer cleaning equipment. Wafer cleaning is a crucial step in the semiconductor manufacturing process to ensure the wafers are free from contaminants, particles, and residues. Lam Research Corporation provides a range of products and services related to wafer cleaning and other semiconductor manufacturing processes. The market for wafer cleaning equipment, including the equipment offered by Lam Research Corporation, can be influenced by several factors like semiconductor industry demand, semiconductor industry demand, global economic factors and more. Lam Research is known for its innovation and commitment to the semiconductor industry. They continuously develop and improve wafer cleaning solutions to meet the evolving needs of semiconductor manufacturers.
- Tokyo Electron Limited (TEL) is a prominent Japanese company in the semiconductor equipment industry. They were known for manufacturing a wide range of semiconductor manufacturing equipment and solutions, including wafer cleaning equipment. The market for wafer cleaning equipment is a critical component of semiconductor manufacturing, as it ensures that silicon wafers are free from contaminants before various processes, such as lithography and deposition, are carried out. The cleanliness of the wafers is vital for achieving high-quality semiconductor devices.
Wafer Cleaning Equipment Industry News
- In December 2022, SCREEN SPE introduces the SU-3400, a single wafer cleaning system with world-leading throughput and unique cleaning technologies. The system's innovative design with six-level stacked towers and downsized cleaning chambers reduces its footprint by 30%.
The Wafer Cleaning Equipment Market research report includes in-depth coverage of the industry, with estimates & forecast in terms of revenue (USD million) from 2018 to 2032, for the following segments:
to Buy Section of this Report
- Single-Wafer Cleaning Systems
- Batch Cleaning Systems
- Ultrasonic Cleaning Equipment
By Wafer Size
- Semiconductor Fabrication
- Solar Cell Production
- MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems)
- LED (Light Emitting Diode) Production
The above information is provided for the following regions and countries:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of MEA
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :