Contraceptives Market Size
Contraceptives Market size was valued at around USD 21.5 billion in 2022 and is estimated to reach approximately USD 39.8 billion by 2032, at 6.3% CAGR over the forecast period. This incremental growth rate is owing to increasing prevalence of unwanted pregnancies, sexually transmitted ailments, technological advancements in devices and surging awareness related to sexual health among women. Favorable government policies in developed regions aimed at preventing unwanted pregnancies is anticipated to render significant positive impact on the market growth.
To understand key trends
Download Free Sample
Moreover, the prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases is rising across the globe that highlights the high unmet contraceptive needs which is predicted to positively influence the market progress. Technological advancements in contraceptive drugs and devices have significantly reduced the rates of unwanted pregnancies among young adults worldwide.
Contraceptives Market Report Attributes
|Contraceptives Market Size in 2022:
|USD 21.5 Billion
|2023 to 2032
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2032 CAGR:
|2032 Value Projection:
|USD 39.8 Billion
|Historical Data for:
|2018 to 2022
|No. of Pages:
|Tables, Charts & Figures:
|Product, Age Group, Distribution Channel and Region
- Favourable regulatory scenario in developed nations
- Growing inclination towards planned delayed pregnancy
- High unmet contraceptive needs in developing economies
- Growing prevalence of Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD)
|Pitfalls & Challenges:
- Growing infertility prevalence
- Adverse effects of contraceptive drugs
To understand market opportunities
Download Free Sample
Contraceptives, also known as birth control methods, are various type of devices and drugs used to prevent pregnancy by intentionally inhibiting or reducing the chances of conception. The scope of the market covers information pertaining to different types of drugs and devices that are being used as contraceptives including condoms, IUDs, vaginal rings, pills among others.
The emergence of COVID-19 is an unprecedented public health concern that has negatively affected the overall healthcare industry. To control the spread of the virus, various restrictions have been imposed across several countries worldwide. Rising mortality and morbidity rate changed the preferences and priority towards COVID-19 positive patients and designed treatment plan according to the medical situation. Non-essential healthcare services, including family planning and contraceptive services, have been impacted. Many healthcare facilities have scaled back or suspended these services, leading to limited access to contraceptives for individuals.
Contraceptives Market Trends
The growing inclination toward planned delayed pregnancy is facilitating the market expansion. This surging inclination is leading to advancements in contraceptives for better efficiency and safety of the patient. The rising adolescent female population worldwide needs easy access for the use of contraceptives that include drugs and devices to avoid problems such as unsafe abortions, unwanted pregnancies, etc.
- Factors such as higher education levels, career aspirations, financial stability, and a desire for personal fulfillment are leading to a growing preference for planned and delayed pregnancies. This demographic trend drives the demand for effective contraceptives, as individuals seek reliable methods to prevent unintended pregnancies during their chosen period of delay.
- Increased awareness and access to comprehensive sexual education have played a significant role in promoting the importance of family planning and responsible reproductive health practices.
Contraceptives Market Analysis
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on product, the market is categorized into drugs and devices. Devices segment accounted for majority revenue share in 2022 and is expected to expand robustly at 7.3% growth rate over the forecast timeframe. Contraceptive devices offer several benefits that contribute to the overall as well as sexual wellness and reproductive health of individuals.
- These devices are highly effective in preventing unintended pregnancies, provide a reliable method of contraception, allowing individuals to have control over their reproductive choices and plan pregnancies according to their personal circumstances.
- Contraceptive devices offer a diverse range of options such as condoms, diaphragms, contraceptive sponges, vaginal rings, subdermal implants and intra-uterine devices among others. Devices, such as condoms, provide an additional benefit of protecting against sexually transmitted infections (STIs). IUDs and implants, offer long-lasting contraception that can provide protection for several years, eliminating the need for frequent administration or adherence to daily schedules.
Based on age group, the contraceptives market is divided into 15-44 years and above 44 years. The 15-44 years segment accounted for dominating revenue share and was valued at around USD 19.7 billion in 2022. The age group of 15-44 years is generally referred to as the reproductive or childbearing age group. This demographic segment plays a significant role in driving the demand for contraceptives.
- Adolescents and young adults often engage in sexual activity, and many are not yet ready to start families due to educational, career, or personal reasons. Contraceptives provide them with a means to prevent unintended pregnancies while they pursue other life goals.
- This age group often has better access to healthcare facilities and services, making it easier for them to obtain contraceptives. Contraceptives can offer health benefits beyond family planning, such as reducing the risk of certain health issues like ovarian and endometrial cancers. Many healthcare providers offer contraceptive counseling and services to help individuals make appropriate choices.
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on distribution channel, the contraceptives market is segmented into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, online channels, and other distribution channels. Retail pharmacies segment accounted for leading revenue share in 2022 and is expected to reach over USD 17.6 billion by 2032.
- Retail pharmacies are easily accessible to the general population. People can visit their local pharmacies without the need for an appointment, which makes them a convenient source for contraceptives. This accessibility promotes increased usage and drives market demand.
- Retail pharmacies can dispense both prescription and over-the-counter contraceptives. This flexibility means that individuals have access to a wide array of contraceptive options, regardless of whether they have a prescription.
- Retail pharmacies often run promotions, discounts, and loyalty programs that make contraceptives more affordable and encourage their use. Additionally, some insurance plans cover the cost of prescription contraceptives, and retail pharmacies can process insurance claims, making it easier for individuals to afford contraception.
To understand regional trends  Download Free Sample
North America region held more than 33% revenue share in 2022 and is expected to witness notable growth to reach over USD 10.8 billion by 2032. This high market share is majorly attributed to increasing awareness of novel contraceptives comprising pills and devices that have resulted in a significant decline in unplanned pregnancies in North America. As per the National Center of Biotechnology Information (NCBI) article, around 1 million abortions are performed each year in the U.S.
- Advancements in contraceptive technologies have resulted in the development of more effective, user-friendly, and convenient contraceptive methods.
- Moreover, availability and accessibility of contraceptive devices in the region through various channels, including healthcare providers, clinics, pharmacies, online platforms, etc. has played a vital role in controlling the ailments related to sexual health.
- Further, efforts to integrate contraceptive services within primary healthcare settings, including routine gynecological visits and general health check-ups, have facilitated access to contraceptives. Thus, the above-mentioned factors are projected to boost the market in North America during the analysis timeframe.
Contraceptives Market Share
The global contraceptives industry is dominated by some of the major market players. The market is competitive in nature, with major organizations, local small players, and start-ups joining the industry competition. Few players including Allergan Plc, Bayer Corporation, Cooper Surgical, Inc, Church & Dwight Co, Inc, Merck & Co Inc, Pfizer, Reckitt Benckiser Group Plc, and Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd. held significant market share in the global contraceptives industry.
Some of the eminent market participants operating in the contraceptives industry include:
- Allergan Plc
- Bayer Corporation
- Cooper Surgical, Inc
- Church & Dwight Co , Inc.
- Mayer Laboratories, Inc.
- Merck & Co Inc.
- Reckitt Benckiser Group Plc
- Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd.
- The Female Health Company/Veru Inc.
Contraceptives Industry News:
- In December 2022, CooperSurgical, Inc. announced a strategic partnership with Ostro to launch a new consumer engagement solution for CooperSurgical's hormone-free IUD, Paragard. This partnership helped the company to incorporate advance technology including live nurse navigator to assist patients and Paragard users. This strategic partnership helped the company to enhance their customer base and gain a technological advantage over its peers.
- In January 2021, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., announced the launch of generic version of NuvaRing in the U.S. This ring is an estrogen/progestin combination hormonal contraceptive (CHC) indicated for use by women to prevent pregnancy. This strategic move helped the company to expand their product portfolio and increase their business revenue.
Contraceptives market research report includes an in-depth coverage of the industry with estimates & forecast in terms of revenue in USD from 2018 to 2032 for the following segments:
Click here to Buy Section of this Report
By Product, 2018-2032 (USD Million)
- Oral contraceptive pills
- Injectable contraceptives
- Topical contraceptives
- Contraceptive sponges
- Vaginal rings
- Subdermal implants
- Intra-uterine devices
By Age Group, 2018-2032 (USD Million)
- 15-44 years
- Above 44 years
By Distribution Channel, 2018-2032 (USD Million)
- Hospital pharmacies
- Retail pharmacies
- Online channels
- Other distribution channels
The above information is provided for the following regions and countries:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa