Upper Limb Prosthetics Market Size
Upper Limb Prosthetics Market size was valued at around USD 801.4 million in 2022 and is set to register 5.1% CAGR during 2023 to 2032. This robust market growth can be attributed to various factors, including rise in limb loss incidences, consistent technological advancements, growing awareness regarding available prosthetic solutions, and surging demand for personalized and customized healthcare solutions.
To understand key trends
Download Free Sample
Furthermore, the growing incidence of limb loss due to factors such as accidents, trauma, congenital diseases, and medical conditions is a major driver for the upper limb prosthetics industry. The demand for prosthetic limb grows in tandem with the number of people who require these devices. For instance, according to National Limb Loss Resource Center, in U.S., around 2 million individuals live with limb loss in the country. The most common causes of limb loss are vascular disease (54%), including diabetes and peripheral artery disease, trauma (45%), and cancer (less than 2%).
Upper limb prosthetics refers to the field of prosthesis that involves the design, creation, and fitting of artificial limbs for individuals who have lost part or all of their upper extremities, including arms and hands. The goal is to restore function and improve the quality of life for individuals with limb loss.
Upper Limb Prosthetics Market Report Attributes
|Upper Limb Prosthetics Market Size in 2022:||USD 801.4 Million|
|Forecast Period:||2023 to 2032|
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2032 CAGR:||5.1%|
|2032 Value Projection:||USD 1,329.7 Million|
|Historical Data for:||2018 to 2022|
|No. of Pages:||130|
|Tables, Charts & Figures:||220|
|Segments covered:||Component, Product, End-use, and Region|
- Growing geriatric population
- Rising number of accidental injuries and trauma cases
- Technological advancements
- Rise in the number of limb amputation procedures
|Pitfalls & Challenges:|
- High cost of devices
- Stringent regulatory scenario
To understand market opportunities
Download Free Sample
The COVID-19 pandemic had a negative impact on the upper limb prosthetics market. Owing to disruptions in the global supply chain and delays in healthcare services, including prosthetic fittings, have hindered timely access to upper limb prosthetics. Economic challenges and financial constraints faced by individuals have potentially affected the affordability and demand for prosthetic devices. Thus, the industry has evolved with increased focus on innovation, accessibility, and mental health support, reflecting a post-pandemic landscape that seeks to address challenges and enhance the overall well-being of individuals with limb loss.
Upper Limb Prosthetics Market Trends
The market is influenced by several factors such as growing demand for integrated neuroprosthetics and brain-machine interfaces, surging need for incorporation of wearable technology among others. Additionally, increasing advances in gesture recognition technology and machine learning algorithms, along with growing usage of robotics prosthetics for rehabilitation are other pointers supporting the product demand. These factors collectively contribute to the evolving landscape of the market.
- There is a growing demand for personalized and customized prosthetic devices. Advances in 3D printing technology enables the development of prosthetic devices that are tailored to the individual's anatomy and preferences. This trend represents a shift away from utilitarian performance and towards aesthetic considerations, with cosmetic coverings that could be customized to fit skin tone and look.
- Moreover, the surgical insertion of a prosthetic device directly into the bone provides a more natural and durable connection. This technique has gained popularity because it offers more comfort, lower energy consumption, and a greater range of motion than standard socket-based prostheses. Continuous research and developments in osseointegration have aided in its acceptance.
Upper Limb Prosthetics Market Analysis
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
The market by component is categorized into prosthetic wrist, prosthetic elbow, prosthetic shoulder, prosthetic arm, and terminal devices. The prosthetic arm segment garnered around USD 252.3 million revenue in 2022.
- Continuous advances in technology, such as robotics, artificial intelligence, and material science, have considerably improved the design and functionality of prosthetic arms. Technological advancements provide more natural and intuitive control, increased dexterity, and the integration of smart aspects into prosthetic arms.
- Additionally, rising adoption of myoelectric control systems is a key driving factor in the industry progress. Sensors in these systems monitor electrical impulses created by the user's muscles, allowing for precise and synchronized motions of the prosthetic arm. This technology improves the user's ability to do wide range of tasks with greater precision, leading to the increased product demand.
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on product, the upper limb prosthetics market is segmented into passive prosthetic devices, body-powered prosthetic devices, myoelectric prosthetic devices, and hybrid prosthetic devices. The passive prosthetic devices segment dominated the market and accounted for over 34% business share in 2022 and is anticipated to witness the significant growth during the forecast period.
- The primary use of passive prosthetic devices is cosmetic repair. These devices are made to look similar to the missing limb's natural appearance, giving users a more aesthetically pleasant and symmetrical appearance. The desire for a natural look is an important driving factor for the adoption of passive prosthetic devices.
- Additionally, passive prosthetic devices are typically easy to use and require minimal maintenance compared to functional prosthetics. This simplicity appeals to individuals who prioritize a hassle-free and straightforward solution for restoring the cosmetic aspects of their limb, thereby contributing to the segment expansion.
The upper limb prosthetics market by end-use is categorized into hospitals, prosthetic clinics, and ambulatory surgical centers. The prosthetic clinics segment accounted for over USD 482.6 million revenue size in 2022.
- Prosthetic clinics offer comprehensive rehabilitation equipment and training programs to help individuals adapt to and maximize the use of their prosthetic limbs. These programs play a vital role in enhancing the functionality, comfort, and overall well-being of prosthetic users.
- Additionally, prosthetic clinics prioritize patient-centered care, focusing on the unique needs and goals of each individual. This approach involves collaborative decision-making, thorough assessments, and ongoing communication to ensure that the prosthetic device aligns with the patient's expectations and requirements.
To understand regional trends  Download Free Sample
North America upper limb prosthetics market accounted for USD 350.7 million revenue in 2022 and is predicted to witness substantial market progress.
- North America is at the forefront of technological innovations in healthcare. The region experiences continuous advancements in upper limb prosthetic technologies, including myoelectric control systems, robotics, and materials science. This technological progress contributes to the development of more functional and sophisticated prosthetic devices.
- Furthermore, the well-developed healthcare infrastructure in the region ensures widespread access to advanced healthcare services, including prosthetic care. Individuals have access to specialized prosthetic clinics, rehabilitation centers, and skilled healthcare professionals, facilitating timely fittings and quality care.
Upper Limb Prosthetics Market Share
The upper limb prosthetics industry is competitive in nature, with a large number of small and medium-sized companies competing with each other. Some of the key players that are focusing on improving their market share includes Ottobock SE & Co. KGaA, Endolite India Ltd., Ossur, and Fillauer LLC, among others. Industry players are investing substantially to be at par with major companies that are constantly innovating and developing new components and services.
Some of the eminent market participants operating in the upper limb prosthetics industry include:
- Ottobock SE & Co. KGaA
- Endolite India Ltd.
- Fillauer LLC
- Mobius Bionics
- Steeper Group
- Ortho Europe
- Open Bionics
- COVVI Ltd
- Unlimited Tomorrow
- exiii Inc.
- WillowWood Global LLC
Upper Limb Prosthetics Industry News:
- In July 2021, Ossur has launched the new Rebound Post-Op Elbow Brace, a non-invasive, lightweight adjustable brace with simple design elements intended to optimize clinician fitting experience as well as ease-of-use for patients recuperating from severe elbow injury or surgical operations.
- In July 2021, Coapt announced the acquisition of Liberating Technologies, Inc. (LTI). Through this collaboration, Coapt will strengthen its research and development capabilities and pace the development of cutting-edge orthotics and prosthetics technology.
Upper limb prosthetics market research report includes an in-depth coverage of the industry with estimates & forecast in terms of revenue in USD from 2018 to 2032 for the following segments:
Click here to Buy Section of this Report
By Component, 2018-2032 (USD Million)
- Prosthetic wrist
- Prosthetic elbow
- Prosthetic shoulder
- Prosthetic arm
- Terminal devices
By Product, 2018-2032 (USD Million)
- Passive prosthetic devices
- Body-powered prosthetic devices
- Myoelectric prosthetic devices
- Hybrid prosthetic devices
By End-use, 2018-2032 (USD Million)
- Prosthetic clinics
- Ambulatory surgical centers
The above information is provided for the following regions and countries:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa