Sports Medicine Market Size
Sports Medicine Market was valued at USD 6.1 billion in 2022 and is estimated to reach USD 11.1 billion by 2032. It is a branch of medicine that deals with the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of injuries related to sports and exercise.
To understand key trends
Download Free Sample
The primary focus is to optimize the performance of athletes and individuals engaged in physical activity, as well as to promote overall health and fitness. During the Winter Olympic Games in Beijing 2022, the medical staff reported a total of 725 injuries and 1,119 illnesses. This corresponds to an incidence of 24 injuries and 31 illnesses per 1000 athletes and nonathletes. Overall, 2.4% of the participants experienced at least one injury, while 3.1% had at least one illness. Consequently, a high incidence of such sports injuries could potentially drive market expansion.
Sports Medicine Market Report Attributes
|Sports Medicine Market Size in 2022:||USD 6.1 Billion|
|Forecast Period:||2023 to 2032|
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2032 CAGR:||6.2%|
|2032 Value Projection:||USD 11.1 Billion|
|Historical Data for:||2018 to 2022|
|No. of Pages:||250|
|Tables, Charts & Figures:||415|
|Segments covered:||Product, Injury Type, and Region|
- Increasing number of sports injuries globally
- Technological advancements in implants and wearable devices
- Growing demand for minimal invasive surgeries and rising number of sports medical centres
- Increasing awareness regarding physical fitness and sports activities
|Pitfalls & Challenges:|
- Dearth of trained healthcare professional in developing countries
- Inflated cost of sports medicine
To understand market opportunities
Download Free Sample
Moreover, the market is anticipated to experience growth due to the increasing awareness regarding personal health and substantial rise in government initiatives promoting sports activities. The surge in sports participation is likely to result in a higher incidence of sports injuries. Additionally, advancements in the orthopedic devices, such as the adoption of technologies such as 3D printed medical devices & implants, introduction of bionic and sensor technology in prosthetic limbs, is poised to provide unprecedented growth opportunities for expansion of the sports medicine industry.
During COVID-19 pandemic, sports medicine market encountered a setback due to deferral and cancellation of range of sports events that led to decline in sports injuries. In March 2020, Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics was postponed to 2021 by the International Olympic Committee. Such incidents negatively impacted the growth of market. The medical professionals and specialists were instructed to address only the emergency and critical surgical operations during this period. All these factors affected product sales with declined hospital visits during the initial phase of the pandemic.
Sports Medicine Market Trends
The growth of the market is further propelled by the increasing preference for minimally invasive technologies, particularly in developed countries. The advantages associated with minimally invasive procedures include shorter hospital stay, quicker recovery, and effective post-surgical pain management, driving the demand for these procedures, and positively influencing market development.
- The market's robust expansion is also attributed to the rising adoption of computer-assisted robotic surgeries aimed at reducing recovery time, hospital stays, and facilitating a faster return to normal activities following sports injuries.
- Moreover, the positive impact of technological upgrades in sports medicine products further stimulates market progress. For instance, the utilization of 3-D printing technology to create implants, constructed layer by layer through a computer-aided design program (CAD), has contributed to market development.
- Safety products produced using 3-D printing include casts for stabilizing broken bones, shin guards, helmets, and footwear designed to help prevent concussions
- These advancements in products are expected to enhance workflow efficiency, leading to an expanded client base
Sports Medicine Market Analysis
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
The market by product is categorized into body reconstruction products, body support & recovery, accessories, and others. The body reconstruction products segment is bifurcated into orthopedic implants, fracture and ligament repair products, arthroscopy devices, soft tissue repair products, prosthetics, orthobiologics. This segment garnered USD 3.5 billion revenue size in the year 2022.
- The segment growth is attributable to the growing focus towards new product development, thereby revolutionizing implant placement technologies. For instance, FAST-FIX FLEX Meniscal Repair System manufactured by Smith & Nephew, touted as the sole device featuring a surgeon-guided, bendable needle and shaft that allows access to all zones of the meniscus. This innovation enhances the potential for meniscal repair, leading to long-term benefits for the patient.
- Thus, with increased emphasis on research and development to offer effective solutions and high patient satisfaction, the segment will experience rapid growth over forthcoming period.
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on injury type, the sports medicine market is segmented into knee, shoulder, foot and ankle, back and spine, hip and groin, and other injuries. The foot and ankle injuries segment dominated the market and accounted for over 18.4% business share in the year 2022.
- Ankle injuries are one of the most common injuries experienced by high school children and also adults. This will benefit segment growth.
- In 2022, exercise equipment led to approximately 445,642 injuries, making it the highest contributor to injuries within any sports and recreation category, as reported by the National Safety Council (NSC).
Based on end-use, the sports medicine market is segmented into hospitals, ambulatory surgical centres, physiotherapy centers, and other end-users. The hospitals segment dominated the sports medicine market and accounted for over 52% business share in the year 2022.
- Hospitals are increasingly forming partnerships and collaborations with sports teams, leagues, and organizations. These alliances contribute to the development of specialized sports medicine programs and services, often involving dedicated facilities within the hospital.
- The increasing adoption of regenerative medicine approaches, such as stem cell therapy and platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatments, is influencing sports medicine practices in hospitals, aiming to accelerate healing and recovery procedures.
To understand regional trends  Download Free Sample
U.S. sports medicine market accounted for over USD 800 million revenue size in 2022 and is predicted to witness substantial market growth over the analysis timeline.
- Approximately 30 million children and teenagers in the U.S. engage in organized sports, with over 3.5 million sustaining injuries each year. These injuries result in a temporary loss of participation time for the affected individuals. Further, sports-related injuries account for nearly one-third of all childhood injuries.
- Presence of major market players, favorable reimbursement scenarios, rising number of medical centres and growing investment in development of sports medicine will result in rapid product adoption throughout the region.
Moreover, developed healthcare infrastructure coupled with increasing adoption of technologically advanced devices to treat sports injuries are some of the key factors driving the market development.
Sports Medicine Market Share
The sports medicine industry is fragmented, with key players including Stryker Corporation, Smith & nephew and others dominating the market space. These companies focus on ongoing product innovation, geographical expansion, and partnerships to secure substantial market share. For instance, in March 2023, Smith & Nephew, unveiled QUADTRAC System representing the inaugural integrated guide system designed for minimally invasive quadriceps graft harvesting. This innovative system facilitates direct visualization of the tendon, offering a controlled and reproducible technique for the harvesting process. This new addition aimed at expanding the product portfolio and enhance overall company's revenue.
Some of the eminent market participants operating in the sports medicine industry include:
- Stryker Corporation
- Arthrex, Inc.
- Wright Medical Technology
- Otto Bock Healthcare
- Zimmer Biomet
- Smith & Nephew Plc
- Breg, Inc
- Muller Sports, Inc
- RTI Surgical
- Performance Health International Limited
- KARL STORZ
- Bauerfeind AG
- CONMED Corporation
- Johnson & Johnson
- Ossur Corporate
- Creamer Product, Inc
- DJO Global
- Anika Therapeutics, Inc
Sports Medicine Industry News:
- In March 2023, Stryker launched Mako Total Knee 2.0. It is built upon the foundation of Mako SmartRobotics, incorporating its three pivotal components: 3D CT-based planning, accustop haptic technology, and insightful data analytics. These components have demonstrated superior outcomes for patients undergoing total knee, hip, and partial knee procedures when compared to traditional manual surgery. This product launch was aimed at gearing towards both enriching the company's product portfolio and boosting its revenue.
- In March 2023, Arthrex introduced two cutting-edge solutions for minimally invasive ACL preservation: the ACL Repair TightRope implant and the SwiveLock ACL Repair Kit. Notably, it is the first of its kind in the orthopedic industry to receive FDA clearance. Such product launch will benefit the company to expand its market share.
Sports medicine market research report includes an in-depth coverage of the industry with estimates & forecast in terms of revenue in USD from 2018 to 2032 for the following segments:
Click here to Buy Section of this Report
By Product, 2018 – 2032 (USD Million)
- Body reconstruction products
- Orthopedic implants
- Fracture and ligament repair products
- Arthroscopy devices
- Soft tissue repair products
- Body support & recovery
- Braces and supports
- Compression clothing
- Physiotherapy equipment
- Thermal therapy
- Other body support & recovery products
- Other accessories
- Other products
By Injury Type, 2018 – 2032 (USD Million)
- Knee injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Foot and ankle injuries
- Back and spine injuries
- Hip and groin injuries
- Other injuries
By End-use, 2018 – 2032 (USD Million)
- Ambulatory surgical centers
- Physiotherapy centers
- Other end-users
The above information is provided for the following regions and countries:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa