Leak Detection Market Size
Leak Detection Market was valued at over USD 4 billion in 2022 and is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of over 5% between 2023 and 2032.
To understand key trends
Download Free Sample
IoT technology enables the seamless integration of sensors and devices, facilitating real-time data collection and analysis. In the context of leak detection, IoT sensors can continuously monitor pipelines, industrial equipment, and infrastructures. They can detect leaks & anomalies instantly, triggering immediate responses and reducing the risk of environmental damage, safety hazards & financial losses. IoT-driven leak detection systems offer cost-effective, scalable, and automated solutions, making them a preferred choice for industries seeking to enhance their operational efficiency and risk management. For instance, in August 2023, Oldcastle Infrastructure, a CRH Company & a leader in innovative infrastructure solutions, signed a strategic partnership with FIDO Tech, a UK-based Artificial Intelligence (AI) & technology solutions provider, to enter the smart water market to deliver unparalleled leak detection and broader water management & conservation solutions in the U.S.
Leak detection is the process of identifying and locating unintended or abnormal fluid or gas losses in a system or environment. It involves the use of sensors, technology, or methods to detect leaks in pipelines, storage tanks, industrial equipment, and various infrastructures. The primary goal is to prevent environmental contamination, safety hazards, and economic losses by identifying leaks promptly. Leak detection methods can be manual or automated, relying on various technologies such as acoustic, visual, chemical, or electronic sensors to identify and assess leaks. Timely detection and mitigation are crucial in minimizing the impact of leaks.
|Market Size in 2022:
|USD 4.7 Billion
|2022 to 2032
|Forecast Period 2022 to 2032 CAGR:
|2032 Value Projection:
|USD 7.5 Billion
|Historical Data for:
|2018 - 2022
|No. of Pages:
|Tables, Charts & Figures:
|Type, Technology, End-use Industry & Region
|Pitfalls & Challenges:
To understand market opportunities
Download Free Sample
The continual cost-cutting initiatives of the oil & gas upstream sector are a restraint hampering the leak detection industry growth. Companies in this sector frequently target cost reduction to preserve profitability as exploration and production activities are capital-intensive. As a result, they may be hesitant to invest in advanced leak detection technology, considering them as an extra cost. Despite its promise to avoid environmental disasters and assure safety, sophisticated leak detection methods may witness limited adoption. Striking a balance between cost reduction and the implementation of robust leak detection systems is a challenge that might prevent industry growth in the upstream oil & gas sector.
The COVID-19 pandemic had negative impacts on the leak detection market. Delays in the production & distribution of leak detection equipment were caused by supply chain interruptions and factory shutdowns. Many industries including oil & gas, encountered reduced operations and financial constraints, resulting in initiatives connected to leak prevention and detection being postponed or abandoned. Furthermore, diminished personnel and travel limitations hampered routine maintenance & inspection efforts, potentially resulting in unreported leaks. The economic uncertainty caused by the pandemic influenced investment decisions in leak detection technologies. Overall, the pandemic hampered the expansion and use of leak detection solutions in a variety of industries.
Leak Detection Market Trends
IoT technology and smart sensors have revolutionized the leak detection industry. These sensors, which are frequently installed in vital infrastructures, such as pipelines & industrial equipment, enable real-time data collection and processing. They are capable of detecting minor irregularities and transmitting data to the central monitoring systems. This trend improves leak detection speed & accuracy, decreases false alarms, and enables predictive maintenance. IoT-based leak detection systems are cost-effective and proactive in preventing costly leaks, making them a critical component in a variety of industries, ranging from oil & gas to water utilities.
Owing to the environmental and financial hazards connected with leaks and accidents, the oil & gas industry is increasingly focused on pipeline integrity. As a result, major investments in improved leak-detecting technologies have been made. Pipeline operators are incorporating a variety of sensing technologies, such as acoustic, thermal, and pressure sensors, to detect leaks. Furthermore, they are putting in place extensive integrity management processes that include frequent inspections, monitoring, and maintenance. The goal is to prevent leaks and provide safe & reliable transport, highlighting the industry's commitment to safety and environmental care.
Leak Detection Market Analysis
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on technology, the market is segmented into Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) analyzer, Optical Gas Imaging (OGI), laser absorption spectroscopy, acoustic leak detection, and audio-visual-olfactory inspection. The Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) analyzer segment dominated the market in 2022 with a share of over 30%.
- The safety of workers and surrounding communities is paramount. VOC leaks can pose immediate health hazards and long-term health risks. VOC analyzers provide real-time data, enabling prompt detection and response to leaks, safeguarding both employees & the public from exposure to harmful substances.
- The financial implications of uncontrolled VOC emissions are significant. Leak detection through VOC analyzers can prevent the loss of valuable gases and chemicals, reducing operational costs. Additionally, avoiding costly fines and penalties for non-compliance with emissions regulations contributes to the overall cost savings for industries.
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on type, the market is divided into handheld detector, vehicle-based detector, and UAV-based detector. The UAV-based detector segment is anticipated to register a CAGR of over 6% through 2032.
- UAV-based detectors are gaining traction due to their remarkable efficiency and speed. These unmanned aerial vehicles can cover vast areas in a fraction of the time it would take human inspectors. This rapid assessment is invaluable for detecting leaks in critical infrastructure such as pipelines or oil & gas facilities, minimizing the response time to prevent environmental and safety risks.
- UAVs enhance safety in the leak detection process by eliminating the need for human inspectors to enter hazardous or hard-to-reach locations. They can access remote or challenging environments, reducing the potential risks associated with manual inspections. This safety advantage is a compelling reason for their adoption.
To understand regional trends  Download Free Sample
Asia Pacific dominated the global leak detection market with a share of over 25% in 2022. Growing industrialization and urbanization have increased reliance on key infrastructures such as pipelines to sustain growing populations and industries. As a result, there is a greater need for these infrastructure systems to be monitored and maintained. Second, strict environmental rules and public safety concerns have driven enterprises to implement leak detection systems to avoid & mitigate environmental damage and hazards. Furthermore, technical developments, increased investments in automation & IoT, and the region's expanding oil & gas sector have pushed the use of leak detection systems even further, supporting market expansion in the Asia Pacific region.
Leak Detection Market Share
Players operating in the market focus on implementing different growth strategies to strengthen their offerings and expand their market reach. These strategies involve new product developments & launches, partnerships & collaborations, mergers & acquisitions, and customer retention. These players also heavily invest in research & development to introduce innovative and technologically advanced solutions in the market. Some of the major players operating in the leak detection industry are mentioned below:
- ABB Ltd.
- Emerson Electric Co.
- Honeywell International Inc.
- Krohne Messtechnik GmbH
- Schneider Electric SE
- Siemens Energy Global GmbH & Co. KG
- Yokogawa Electric Corporation
Leak Detection Industry News
- In November 2021, Teledyne FLIR launched two additional models of the FLIR Si124 Industrial Acoustic Imaging Camera. The Si124-LD is intended for compressed air leak detection, whereas the Si124-PD is intended for partial discharge detection in high-voltage electrical systems. This extension offers additional, personalized solutions for a variety of end-user needs, ranging from utility infrastructure to plant conditions, at a fraction of the cost.
- In October 2020, ABB launched the first comprehensive gas leak detection solution for utilities to help safeguard city populations. The new ABB MicroGuard solution works alongside ABB's MobileGuard to pinpoint dangerous gas leaks. This patented laser-based technology provides faster & easier detection, reducing fatalities, environmental damage, and material loss.
The leak detection market research report includes in-depth coverage of the industry with estimates & forecast in terms of revenue (USD Billion) from 2018 to 2032, for the following segments:
to Buy Section of this Report
Market, By Type
- Handheld detector
- Vehicle-based detector
- UAV-based detector
Market, By Technology
- Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) analyzer
- Optical Gas Imaging (OGI)
- Laser absorption spectroscopy
- Acoustic leak detection
- Audio-visual-olfactory inspection
Market, By End-use Industry
- Chemical & petrochemical
- Energy & utility
- Food & beverage
- Oil & gas
The above information is provided for the following regions and countries:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of MEA
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :