Infrared Thermography Market Size
Infrared Thermography Market size was valued at over USD 400 million in 2022 and is estimated to register a CAGR of over 5.5% between 2023 and 2032. The increasing adoption of Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) methods is driving the market growth due to its ability to provide quick and accurate insights into the condition of materials & equipment without causing damage.
To understand key trends
Download Free Sample
Infrared thermography is a valuable NDT technique that utilizes thermal imaging to detect anomalies such as overheating electrical components, structural defects, or moisture intrusion. It is non-invasive, cost-effective & time-efficient, making it ideal for preventive maintenance and quality control in various industries such as manufacturing, construction & aerospace. As industries prioritize safety, efficiency & asset integrity, the demand for infrared thermography technology continues to rise.
For instance, in November 2022, Teledyne FLIR launched FLIR ONE Edge Pro, a wireless thermal-visible camera for mobile devices. Unlike previous models, the reimagined FLIR ONE Edge Pro does not need a physical connection to its companion mobile device, thus providing maximum thermal inspection flexibility.
|Market Size in 2022:
|USD 409.2 Million
|2022 to 2032
|Forecast Period 2022 to 2032 CAGR:
|2032 Value Projection:
|USD 700 Million
|Historical Data for:
|2018 - 2022
|No. of Pages:
|Tables, Charts & Figures:
|Thermal Component, Mode, Application, End-use Industry, and Region
|Pitfalls & Challenges:
To understand market opportunities
Download Free Sample
Export restrictions imposed on thermal imaging products including those used in infrared thermography are typically driven by national security concerns. These products have applications in military & defense technology, surveillance, and critical infrastructure protection. Governments aim to prevent sensitive technology from falling into the wrong hands, thereby safeguarding their military & national security. Export controls also address potential risks related to the misuse of thermal imaging technology in illicit activities. These restrictions help ensure responsible and secure use of these products; however, they can also impact international trade & innovation in the market, particularly for companies reliant on international sales.
The COVID-19 pandemic had significant impacts on the infrared thermography market. Thermal cameras and thermographic technologies for fever diagnosis & infection management were initially in high demand. However, worldwide supply chain disruptions and reduced manufacturing capacity as a result of lockdowns hampered the production & availability of these products. Following the pandemic's emphasis on the significance of temperature screening, the market has subsequently recovered as corporations, healthcare facilities, and public buildings engage in long-term thermal imaging solutions. Furthermore, industries including healthcare and construction have integrated infrared thermography for safety & monitoring, thus broadening the market's uses.
Infrared Thermography Market Trends
Infrared thermography systems are increasingly integrated with AI and IoT technologies. This allows for more sophisticated data analysis and automation. AI algorithms can detect anomalies and patterns in thermal images, enabling predictive maintenance, fault detection, and early warnings of potential issues. IoT connectivity enables remote monitoring and control, enhancing efficiency in various applications, i.e., from industrial equipment maintenance to building management.
Infrared thermography has gained traction in the automotive industry, where it is used for improving safety and enabling Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS). In autonomous vehicles, thermal imaging helps detect pedestrians, cyclists & obstacles, even in low visibility conditions, thus making it a crucial component for enhancing the safety and reliability of self-driving cars. In healthcare, infrared thermography is utilized for various diagnostic purposes. The technology is non-invasive and painless, making it useful for breast cancer detection, where abnormal temperature patterns can indicate potential tumors. Additionally, it is employed in fever screening, where it can quickly identify individuals with elevated body temperatures, which became especially important during the COVID-19 pandemic for initial screenings in public spaces and healthcare settings.
Infrared Thermography Market Analysis
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on application, the market is segmented into energy auditing, HVAC system inspection, electrical system inspection, insulation inspection, structural analysis, and fire/flare detection. The fire/flare detection segment dominated the global market with a share of over 20% in 2022.
- Infrared thermography technology can quickly identify temperature anomalies and hotspots, which are often early indicators of fires or flare-ups in various industrial settings including petrochemical plants and refineries.
- The non-contact and real-time capabilities of this technology make it a valuable tool in critical infrastructures, industrial facilities, and the energy sector where fire & flare incidents can lead to significant damage and loss. As safety regulations and awareness increase, the demand for precise & reliable infrared thermography solutions for fire and flare detection continues to grow.
To understand key market trends
Download Free Sample
Based on thermal component, the infrared thermography market is divided into cameras, scopes, and modules. The scopes segment is estimated to register a CAGR of over 6% by 2032.
- Scopes equipped with thermal technology offer improved target detection capabilities, making them valuable in various applications including surveillance, security, and hunting. Thermal imaging scopes can detect heat signatures in low-light or adverse conditions, enhancing situational awareness.
- The military & defense sector is increasingly adopting thermal imaging scopes for reconnaissance, surveillance, and target identification purposes. These scopes are instrumental in enhancing nighttime and adverse weather operations. Ongoing technological advancements have improved the affordability & performance of thermal imaging scopes, making them more accessible to a wider range of users and industries.
To understand regional trends  Download Free Sample
Asia Pacific dominated the global infrared thermography market with a share of over 80% in 2022. Growing industrialization and infrastructure developments in nations such as China & India have resulted in a significant need for non-contact temperature measuring and predictive maintenance solutions. The widespread adoption of modern technologies in industries including manufacturing, construction & healthcare has increased the demand for precise thermal imaging systems for process control, building inspections, and medical diagnostics. Growing awareness of energy efficiency and the benefits of thermography in lowering energy consumption & emissions will propel market progress in the Asia Pacific region.
Infrared Thermography Market Share
Players operating in the infrared thermography industry focus on implementing different growth strategies to strengthen their offerings and expand their market reach. These strategies involve new product developments & launches, partnerships & collaborations, mergers & acquisitions, and customer retention. These players also invest in research & development to introduce innovative and technologically advanced solutions in the market. Some of the major players operating in the infrared thermography industry are mentioned below:
- Fluke Corporation
- Infrared Cameras Inc.
- InfraTec GmbH
- Micro-Epsilon Messtechnik GmbH & Co. KG
- Optris GmbH
- Raytheon Technologies Corporation
- Teledyne FLIR LLC
Infrared Thermography Industry News
- In May 2023, Xenics nv launched the Lynx R & XSL R series and expanded its linear SWIR camera portfolio. The company’s Linear SWIR cameras are used in demanding applications such as machine vision, semiconductor inspection, food sorting, spectroscopy, optical fiber monitoring, LiDAR sensing, and spectral-domain optical coherence tomography.
- In May 2021, Teledyne Technologies acquired FLIR Systems, a leading provider of thermal imaging solutions. The acquisition allowed Teledyne to enhance its portfolio by integrating advanced thermal imaging technology and expanding its capabilities in the defense, industrial & commercial markets.
The infrared thermography market research report includes in-depth coverage of the industry with estimates & forecast in terms of revenue (USD Million) from 2018 to 2032, for the following segments:
to Buy Section of this Report
By Thermal Component, 2018 – 2032
By Mode, 2018 – 2032
By Application, 2018 – 2032
- Energy Auditing
- HVAC System Inspection
- Electrical System Inspection
- Insulation Inspection
- Structural Analysis
- Fire/Flare Detection
By End-use Industry, 2018 - 2032
The above information is provided for the following regions and countries:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of MEA
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :