(WTE) Waste to Energy Market size worth $35.5bn by 2024
Published Date: May 23, 2016 Author: Global Market Insights, Inc.
Waste to Energy Market size is expected to reach USD 35.5 billion by 2024; according to a new research report by Global Market Insights, Inc.
Increasing municipal solid waste (MSW) adoption as a fuel to generate renewable energy via thermal and biological techniques will drive industry growth. Thermal technology dominated the total share in 2015. In addition, incineration waste to energy market may witness significant growth, the technology was already valued at over USD 12.05 billion in 2015. Converting MSW as feedstock and help to enhance streams process are key factors fostering incineration technology market growth.
Increasing electricity demand along with growing dependency on renewable sources to generate energy due to depleting petrochemical reserves is likely to drive waste to energy market over the forecast timeframe. MSW management programs adopted by regional governments to promote power generation will further boost industry growth. Additionally, the U.S. recognition to include WTE to do their renewable energy targets may spur regional industry growth.
WTE can attract stable tipping fees compared to landfills and help in reducing GHG emissions from MSW in landfills. In addition, government has made target towards renewable energy use. EU has set target to derive 20% energy from renewable sources owing to boost waste to energy demand.
Growing urban population is forecast to be the key contributing factor for increasing MSW such as plastic, glass bottles, paper, tetra pack, cans, newspaper, cardboard boxes, meta items, aluminum foil, and wood pieces. Other factors such as industrialization, economic development, local climate, and public habits such as leftover food, further contribute towards MSW generation. Increasing MSW is anticipated to positively influence waste to energy market growth from 2016 to 2024. Major countries contributing MSW generation include U.S, China, India, Indonesia, and Brazil.
Depleting fossil fuel along with the correction in crude oil prices is anticipated to fuel the need for finding petroleum substitutes for power generation. Furthermore, rigorous research activities towards technological development to use MSW for power generation by substituting natural gas, oil, and coal is enduring, which in turn is anticipated to lay massive environmental benefits and technical feasibility to catalyze the waste to energy market growth from 2016 to 2024. However, high cost associated with plant construction as well as expensive components installation may hamper industry demand in the near future. Also, more capital involved in flue gases treatment and other residues produced may negatively impact growth.
Browse key industry insights spread across 150 pages with 134 market data tables & 13 figures & charts from the report, “Waste to Energy (WTE) Market Size By Technology (Biological, Thermal [Incineration, Pyrolysis & Gasification), Industry Analysis Report, Regional Outlook (U.S., Canada, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Sweden, China, India, Japan, South Korea, Australia, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Qatar), Application Potential, Price Trend, Competitive Market Share & Forecast, 2016 – 2024” in detail along with the table of contents:
Key insights from the report include:
- Europe, led by UK, Germany, Italy and France biological waste to energy market should generate over 5.5% growth to exceed USD 2.5 billion by 2024. Anaerobic based biological process is gradually improving and may replace composting step for biodegradable waste treatment generated from MSW.
- Thermal technology based incineration process in U.S. WTE market size was valued at over USD 1.8 billion in 2015. It is widely used for recovering energy from waste. Modernized thermal incineration equipments can replace existing ageing equipments and contribute towards lowering carbon emissions.
- Pyrolysis and gasification process in Germany registered demand of over USD 0.69 billion in 2015. It is used to convert waste into energy-rich fuels by heating under controlled conditions and converts into energy and ash.
- APAC, driven by China, India, Japan and Australia waste to energy market should achieve over 7.5% growth. Stringent environmental regulations coupled with investment spending should stimulate industry growth.
- LATAM, driven by Argentina, Chile and Brazil WTE market size is set to witness gains at over 7.5%. The Brazilian government has set an initiative to increase electricity production from renewable sources and reduce GHG.
- Global waste to energy market share is competitive. Keppel Seghers, Tenologies, Wheelabrator, Covanta and Hitachi Zosen are key notable industry players. Other prominent participants include Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Foster Wheeler, Xcel Energy, China Everbright International, Plasco Energy, Veolia Environment and Green Conversion Systems.
Global Market Insights has segmented the waste to energy market on the basis of technology and region:
Waste to Energy (WTE) Application Analysis (Revenue, USD Billion, 2013 - 2024)
- Pyrolysis and Gasification
Waste to Energy (WTE) Regional Analysis (Revenue, USD Billion, 2013 - 2024)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- South Africa